Will an adult cat let a kitten that is not hers feed from her dish? Wouldn't she fight it off?

The female adult cat showed up at our house and we adopted it. A few months later an older kitten showed up. They play together and the adult acts like she's trying to teach the kitten. She will also let it eat out of her dish. Would this kitten be hers?

Best Answers

• Beth HallBeth Hall South ShieldsMember Posts: 329
    Accepted Answer
    It depends on the age of the cat, find that out, and have your vet do a dna test, this will tell you mostly what you want to know, also, could you email me pictures of them both? If you add them to catster, ( it only takes a minute or two! ) So I could take a look at them!
  • Accepted Answer
    It could be hers, but could also be that she's got a strong maternal instinct. I act like a mommy cat to the kittens my humans caught and brought inside.
  • Danielle LavetteDanielle Lavette Satellite BeachMember Posts: 15
    Accepted Answer
    Most likely not, it seems to be that there is a high population of stray kitties running around! Outdoor cats that we adopt usually are nicer than cats that have been indoors their whole life, as they are used to sharing outside. Your older cat probably just has a very sweet loving and nurturing personality. Good for her and that's great shes able to take in another cat. Just make sure both are vaccinated and tested for any parasites, because diseases can spread very quickly from cat to cat and you don't want one infecting the other!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Tabitha. Hope that by now you've gotten your babies tested and vaccinated. My big sister Delilah will let me eat out of her bowl if she's eating dry food or some wet food she doesn't really like. I also share a plate and bowl with my beloved big bro, Ernie. And my Aunt Mandy's kitties ALL eat off the same plate and out of the same bowl. As far as behavior, Ernie has taught me everything I know (good and, umm--you know, not so good)about being a member of this family. I KNOW we aren't related, but he's just a really good big brother. If the big lady kitty in your house is being good to you, just enjoy!! It could be a lot worse if it went the other way. And say yay to your mom and dad for taking you both in!
  • Accepted Answer
    rikki was only a month old when i took her in. i have scooter who is 13 yrs old. scooter is a male and took care of rikki like she was his own. my pitbull and my beagle also excepted rikki and was very gentle with her. scooter would step aside and let rikki eat out of his bowl. i think it's animal instinct. chances are your kitten is not your cats baby