I am 3 1/2 years old and my mom is thinking about getting me de-clawed because I am so mean to her b

Jill DeBehnkeJill DeBehnke PickettMember Posts: 8
I am 3 1/2 years old and my mom is thinking about getting me de-clawed because I am so mean to her boyfriends dog. Is this safe at my age? Will it be too painful? How long will I take to recover? Please help! Fern

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    De-clawing is cutting the first "knuckle" off your toe. There are other alternatives, such as Soft-Paws nail caps.
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Are you sure they are not going to get along ok in the future. I also think the soft claw idea is good. I would say declawing is painful and the procedure will have risks. There is also the risk the nerve endings may still feel pain after everything has healed. I would think carefully on this one. good luck.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    De-clawing is a very painful surgery. It is like having our fingers amputated at the first knuckle. Paws will be sore for quite a while, but cats tend to hide pain so many owners think cats recover much faster then they actually do. Behavorial problems can sometimes result from being de-clawed as well, like aggression and litter box issues. De-clawing is actually illegal in most of Europe. I would recommend keeping her claws trimmed or using Soft Paws nail caps. I have used the nail caps in the past and they work great. They come in many fun colors too. Soft Paws has a website too for more info - softpaws.com Please consider trying other options before de-clawing.
  • kirsty pengellykirsty pengelly LondonMember Posts: 852
    Accepted Answer
    i am againt declawring anyway but i think at her age it even worse because she is so used to having her claws. also if claws are removed she may start to bite instead
  • Ashley CryselAshley Crysel Member Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer
    Both of my cats are de-clawed and my favorite, sebastion was de-clawed at about that age if not a little older. I have in no way noticed a change in his quality of life... just the furniture has a slightly longer life span. I actually dont even think they notice not having claws anymore. As far as recovery time, its about 1 week, and you have to give them two medicines a day. one is for pain (which they REALLY like) and the other is an antibiotic.
  • Kymry KistnerKymry Kistner Topeka KSMember Posts: 9
    Accepted Answer
    I was declawed because my sister, who will have a page here eventually, wouldn't leave the puppy alone. Mom should have waited - since eventually the puppy put her in her place, in a rather amusing way - she had been pawing at his nose, and then he brought his massive paw up and gently tapped her back - he was a purebred Chesapeake Bay retriever, so she went skidding across the kitchen floor like a tossed sock. He didn't hurt her, it was just a "Is this the way we play this game type thing." Declawing me left me vulnerable to other cats' attack - we can only bluff so long before the truth is out. Please, please, please reconsider it. I am glad to look from the Rainbow Bridge and see Mom hasn't declawed the current trio. For your part, try to be nicer to the dog...after all if your Mom loves its owner, she's trying to make a family here.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    When my mom was doing humane rescue work, she heard lots of pros and cons about de-clawing. My Aunt Mandy's cats are all declawed but one and they are fine, but it wasn't the human's "hands", now, was it? So they don't really know how much it hurt, do they? Anyway, my mom's group always said don't declaw after a year because it's even worse pain-wise. And, our claws are one of our defensive mechanisms. Plus, if we should ever get outside, we have no way to climb trees to escape predators. You ARE an inside cat, right Fern? You mom wouldn't declaw you and then let you out, would she? Cats have a way of putting dogs in their place eventually. My cousin Cole drew blood from his human friend's dog and now Odessa won't go near cousin Cole. Is that dog cornering you? Do you have enough places to hide to get away from it? Cats will hide first before they scratch or bite. If you can get under a chair or on the counter then there shouldn't be any need for you to bite. Good Luck!
  • Charlotte DyeCharlotte Dye Member Posts: 19
    Accepted Answer
    Don't get declawed. It's painful and can cause all sorts of different problems.
  • John PorterJohn Porter AtlantaMember Posts: 10
    Accepted Answer
    Please please do not declaw! :( It can really destroy a cat's personality. It can take weeks to years to fully recover from declawing and any vet who says it's an easy surgery is not a decent vet. Here are some declawing horror stories if you need more incentive to not declaw: http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/declawstory.html Use Soft Paws! It can make a huge difference without hurting their psyche. :)
  • Gwen BrandGwen Brand Tigerton,WiMember Posts: 64
    Accepted Answer
    My Cats Angel and Berlioz got de-clawled at 6 months ..I takes about 1-2 months I can't really remember..If your cat goes outside you should probaly just do the front paws..BUT IF your kitty scratches up furniture you should de-claw every paw..You cat should be I think 3 months atleast so it is fine to de-claw now..I hope this helps you!!! P.S. My kitten was fine she didn't like to walk for the first week so she would stand up and cry for me..BUT THAT'S just my cat..It varys..but otherwise it didn't take her long to feel better
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Please try all other avenues first, because she's too old not to be traumatized by losing her claws. Plus if she's this upset about another dog, she won't be happy about losing her claws, and she might resort to biting the dog and/or you out of nervousness later on. Other things you can do to stop the fighting: use a loud noise as a deterrent until she realizes fighting the dog=loud noise; spray her with water until she stops trying or avoids the dog entirely (they are not required to love each other, you know); get a spray called Feliway that usually mellows out cats so that she'll be too happy to want to fight; get softpaws so that her swipes don't hurt the dog; spend extra time cuddling her to reassure her that she's still your favorite; rub a towel on the dog, and then rub it on her, which will mix the two animal scents, and thus make the dog more "acceptable". As you can see, there are plenty of alternatives to try.