My 2 darling cats have to travel by plane to a destination that will take over 3 hours to fly there.

Best Answers

• MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I have travelled by plane (and it was 3 hours long). I hate any vehicle, as I usually pee in my cage within 5 minutes of travelling. So my hooman was really worried. So she went to the vet clinic to ask for a sedative for me. The airline did take good care of me. I would ring the airline and ask how they are transported and the checks they do. That may help. As different airline might do different things. I wish you all the best with the trip.
  • Richard AbramsRichard Abrams WeleetkaMember Posts: 4
    Accepted Answer
    You might consider noting when they go to the liter box and adjust their feeding schedule so that they will not have any more to eat after the last BM or six hours before flight time and withhold water within two to three hours of their flight time. This is assuming both cats have no other medical conditions. As for a sedative, Chlorpromazine (Thorazine) is very good for preventing nausea and it has a strong sedation side effect. Normally 2.5 mg per 10 pounds of cat weight should do the trick according to my doctor but ask your vet what he or she would use as there are many other medications that can be used. Sources: Veterinarian and personal experience plus 10 years as a Certified Pharmacy Technician.
  • Karen DKaren D MinneapolisMember Posts: 14
    Accepted Answer
    I've never taken my cats on a plane but we've done 4 cross country trips by car - just me and 4 cats. What joys! The first time I was very nervous and although my vet did not think it was necessary, he did give me some pills to give them which did not knock them out, just made them drowsy so they would sleep. Well - it did make them drowsy but they were so keyed up they fought it and stayed awake anyway. And worrying about the pill effects only stressed me out more! So I did not do that again. A 3 hour flight shouldn't be too hard on them, probly harder on you worrying about them. They will forget all about it as soon as they get out of their carriers and investigate their new surroundings. I had mine in the car for 20 to 24 hours on those trips and they were by no means thrilled with it but they are a lot tougher than I gave them credit for.