She is sneezing and conjested. Is it just a common cold? Does she need meds or will it pass on its o

Just adopted a six month old kitten and she came to me sick. She sneezes alot and sounds like she is having a hard time breathing.

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    Sounds like a cold, but have your vet check to be sure. Colds in kittens can turn into pneumonia fast!
  • Kerstin KaufmannKerstin Kaufmann Member Posts: 9,254
    Accepted Answer
    A cat's cold is never something to ignore. The feline form can do serious harms to your kittens eyes, lungs and equilibrium sense. It's not comparable with the human common cold and should always be a reason for a vet visit asap. He can tell you if she'll already needs meds (and which). Hope she'll be better soon!
  • SAMANTHA BOWMANSAMANTHA BOWMAN TAMPAMember Posts: 92
    Accepted Answer
    NO WAY!!! THIS ISN'T SOMETHING YOU CAN IGNORE. IT SOUNDS LIKE AN UPPER RESPATROY INFECTION AND THEY SPREAD BY HANDELING ONE CAT THEN ANOTHER OR SNEAZING ON EACHOTHER. TRUST ME I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT AND IT STARTS OF MILD THEN IT GET SERIOUS AND ALL THE HOUSEHOLD HAS IT. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT MY CAT HAD BECAUSE I TOOK CARE OF THE CATS NEXT DOOR TO ME WHILE THE OWNER WAS AWAY AND THEY HAD UPPER RESPATORY INFECTIONS AND SNEEZED ON ME AND I CLEANED MY HANDS OFF BUT IT WAS ON MY CLOTHES AND SPREAD TO OUR CATS. THOSE CAS LIVED OUTDOORS OURS LIVE INDOORS ONLY. YOU NEED TO TAKE THE KITTEN TO THE VET AND THE VET WILL MOST LIKELY PRESCRIBE ANTIBIOTICS(AMOXICILLIN) FOR ABOUT TEN DAYS 3 TIMES A DAY. IF IT IS MORE SERIOUS THEN YOU WILL NEED GENTAMICIN SULFATE DROPS FOR THE NOSE AND TERRAMYCIN FOR THE EYES . PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON! PURRS ABBY'S MUM SAMANTHA
  • Tessa ThorntonTessa Thornton Willard, MOMember Posts: 60
    Accepted Answer
    sounds to me like it's just a cold but check with your vet to be sure cuz it could turn into something serious. So check to make sure but i'm sure it will pass on it's own.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    Accepted Answer
    Most URI's are viral and antibiotics will not treat the virus. The reason antibiotics are prescribed is to treat the secondary bacterial infection that often accompanies the virus. Since you are congested you most definitely will need to start antibiotics. You'll need to go to the vet to have them examine you. there are several medications that can be used for this type of infection, Clavamox is usually the first choice. If your breathing is interfering with your eating, you need to either use a nebulizer or place kitty in a steamy bathroom for 10 minutes 2-3 times a day. This will help loosen the mucous, making it easier to breathe and therefore making food more desirable. This virus is very contagious to other kitties, so if there are other's in the house they may end up catching the virus also.
  • Andrea Le NestourAndrea Le Nestour TORONTOMember Posts: 15
    Accepted Answer
    you've got to get to the vet asap. i had the same symptoms and when mama took me in to see a doctor he said we got there just in time. and gave me some very effective and affordable medication. it took weeks for me to shake my kitty flu, it's much different than when mama gets the sniffles. get thee to a nice vet straight away!