Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Help! My husband wants to get rid of our cats due to them peeing on a oriental rug and ruining it.Wh

It was a rug that belonged to my mother-in-law that has passed away. The guy who cleaned the rug said that no matter what we put down on the floor they would keep peeing there. What can I do to stop them from peeing?

Best Answers

• L JowdyL Jowdy Mount PleasantMember Posts: 3
    Accepted Answer
    The first order of business should be to determine why the cats are doing this. Is it a new problem? If so, what has changed in the household recently, ie. a new member in the household? They could be reacting to stess at the change or a new-found need to mark their territory. They could also be ill - any illness can result in changes in behavior like urinating outside the box. Or did you change litters? Until underlying reasons are addressed, the behavior will not stop. In the meantime you can use rug-cleaning products that are made to target feline urine stains. Part of the problem is that cat urine has specific chemicals and scents that will not "come up" with regular cleaners. This means that the smells remain and the cat continues to associate that spot as an approprate elimination area. You could also place the litter box on top of the problem area to reinforce the use of the box. Or move the box to somewhere else in the house-sometimes cats are picky about their box's place
  • Mary Beth Broderson-SoperMary Beth Broderson-Soper Lehigh AcresMember Posts: 3
    Accepted Answer
    I bought some rather expensive spray called "Feliway" or something to that affect. It worked great. Our fixed male was spraying everywhere and a couple of weeks of spritzing the spots and he hasn't done it since. I also use the plug-in version to help mellow out our older mean female... it doesn't seem to work on her in that application. The Feliway has no noticeable scent so you can spray it on your rug. Really hope this works as well for you.
  • Amy RussellAmy Russell SeattleMember Posts: 110
    Accepted Answer
    Get a new husband. Women rule this world, doesn't he know? You just tell him that's not an option.
  • Saija SaundersSaija Saunders BrisbaneMember Posts: 1,766
    Accepted Answer
    Rugs are such good substitutes for a litter tray. Good to scratch and you can flip the corner to cover!MOL! Mummy got rid of all our rugs and we have no carpets since we all LOVED to use them! Maybe kitty just doesn't like the decore! (For real - it's how I express my dislike of decore!) Seriously, Filaway helps but you need to sort out the behaviour, can kitty get to a litter tray or outside? Are there any health issues preventing using outside or the litter tray - bad hips etc can make it difficult!