Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I have diarrhea, and it's not worms.

I've been having runny poop a lot, and we're pretty sure it's not worms because I've been given dewormer twice. Sometimes I don't make it to the box in time, or don't even try, because I don't know when it's going to come. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Best Answers

• Karen HigbeeKaren Higbee Easton PennsylvaniaMember Posts: 74
    Accepted Answer
    Poor kitty! What kind of food are you eating? Canned food can cause diarrhea sometimes. How long has this been going on? You may want to take a trip to the vet to rule out and viral causes. Make sure you are getting lots of fluids or you could easily dehydrate.
  • Accepted Answer
    What type of food are you eating? Commercial cat foods from the grocery store contain lots of chemicals, dyes, and grains which can make a cat very ill over time. Take a look at the ingredients. Consider switching cat food brands. Here are some quick guidelines: Ingredients to avoid: Menadione Bisulfite Complex, Corn, Wheat, By-Products, 'Animal' fat or digest, Exthoxyquin, dyes of any kind, and soy. Good things to look for: Meat should take up at least four of the first six ingredients. As little grains/veggies as possible. Protein levels over 32%. I'd recommend these brands: Innova, Solid Gold, Wellness, Innova EVO, Wellness CORE, Timberwolf Organics, or a raw food diet. A raw food diet is based off of what a cat would eat in the wild AKA a "species appropriate" diet. It's done wonders for Natasha, it might for you too. It is also cheaper than feeding processed food. www.rawfedcats.org If health problems persist, take your cat to the vet for a check up, blood, and stool test.
  • Denise LottDenise Lott South of TucsonMember Posts: 813
    Accepted Answer
    Diarrhea can be caused by a lot of things, from something you ate that didn't agree with you, to a bacterial or viral infection. How long has it been going on? If it's more than a day or so, have your mom call your vet's office and see what they recommend. You can get dehydrated if it continues too long.
  • April PlourdeApril Plourde Member Posts: 248
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Spooky! I've also been having stool problems throughout my kitten-hood. Has your vet performed a fecal float? I would run a stool sample just to be sure. California Natural and Felidae both make simplistic Chicken and Rice formulas for sensitive tummies. Also, kittens tend to eat a lot of things they shouldn't, so scan the house for potential problems. I've found that litter can even effect stool quality (as it's usually ingested during grooming). 100% canned pumpkin will help bulk up your stools in the meantime. Feel better!
  • Leslie TounzenLeslie Tounzen Member Posts: 5
    Accepted Answer
    I had diarrhea from birth to about 5 months old. We had to try several different dry foods until we found one that agreed with me. I have a very sensitive system. I was an orphan turned in at about 1 day old and they thimk I didn't get any colostrum even though I was raised by another new mom and her litter. Don't give up. I was healthy and growing, I just had runny poop. I have to be careful about treats too or I get an upset stomach.