Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I have just purchased a 7 week old kitten. It vomitted 2 days later for about 1 hour and now diareah

I added a little type of different food to her diet and suspect this is the problem. I immediately stopped but diareah hasn't. How long should it go on for. Should I take her off what the pet shop were feeding her and put her on boiled chicken. Is this soft on the insides.

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I would not let this go on for any longer. A kitten that young can become dehydrated very quickly! If she started the vomiting and diahrrea when you added the different food, then that's probably what's causing it, so go back to what they were feeding her, but just to be sure I'd get a vet on board if you don't already have one and get her checked out. Take whatever papers the pet shop gave you with the kitten to the vet's. Document everything the vet says to you so that you can go back to the pet shop with his/her diagnoses. Good luck!
  • Julee RothJulee Roth AspenMember Posts: 33
    Accepted Answer
    Hi - please go to a Vet...never just switch foods on a kitten or cat...and the Vet will suggest some foods to try that are for kittens and mild, but always go slow with switching foods, especially when they are sick. And,you haven't given any milk or dairy products to the kitten, right? No dairy for cats...one thing that worked for me was baby food, chicken or turkey only. Only ground up meat, no by products...and water to keep kitty hydrated...and call the pet shop, they probably know if there's an illness going around the shop. Good luck!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Take her to an emergency vet as soon as you can. Two days of vomiting and diarrea make a really dehydrated kitten, which could be life-threatening at that diminutive size. It is not uncommon for kittens in a pet shop to come from a kitten mill, and therefore being exposed to all sorts of less than sanitary conditions, so it's probably a given that she might have worms and/or stomach ailments. The vet will be able to deworm and determine what else might be going on. Don't delay it.
  • Jinx ClarkJinx Clark Los AngelesMember Posts: 9
    Accepted Answer
    I'm sorry if you bought a kitten from a pet shop that is unhealthy. It's typical though. Please take your baby to the vet.