Needing to have Kitty spayed. (Help)

Ashley FowlerAshley Fowler NakinaMember Posts: 6
edited 18 April, 2007 in Cat Health
My mommy just got me Saturday and was wanting to have me spayed as soon as possible. I simply need a little information about being spayed. My mommy called the Vet. they said I had to wait until I was (I think) 5 months old...and it would be 80 some dollars. Is this right? My mommy\'s dog, Buddy, was neutered...he was 65-70 lbs. and it was a little over a 100 dollars. I\'m just a little kitty, why would it be so much? I\'m just wondering? My mommy has never had a kitty spayed/neutered and doesn\'t know much about it. But she figured you guys could help!

Comments

• Tina MillicanTina Millican Pell CityMember Posts: 12,008
    edited 27 February, 2006
    The reason it is so expensive may be because you need to be vaccinated as well. When I got spayed last month, I had to have all of my shots at least ten days before my surgery. Also, females are typically more expensive than males because the proceedure is more in-depth than with males. When it does come time to get fixed, don\'t forget to not eat or drink 24 hours before your surgery! Also, you can expect to have to leave Sparkles at the vet overnight after the surgery. They do that so they can make sure everything is going to go okay and that she has come out of the anastesia well. It\'s a simple operation and definately worth the money! Mom is very happy she got me spayed. No more kittens for me!
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Sparkles! You're a sweet kitty! I was spayed when I was 6 months old. That's what mom has always heard was the youngest age to get a kitty spayed. Good luck! And don't worry, it doesn't hurt at all!
    What a spay or neuter costs varies a GREAT DEAL depending on where you go, and where you live. Its hard to ask if $80 is a reasonable cost because in a very rural area that may be VERY expensive (Mom can quote a central NY practice where $80 would buy you a pair of spays!) and in more urban/affluent areas that is dirt cheap (she also says in the NY metro area $80 is bargain basement) So, if comparing prices you are better off doing that in your own local area. A spay involves removing actually going into the abdomen and removing the ovaries and uterus to prevent heat cycles and the stuff that goes with them (for us that means heat cycles about every 3 weeks with all the yowling/escape attempts and whatnot that goes with that, plus you prevent unwanted litters of kittens, and the possibility of breast cancer and uterine infections that can kill) Typically, cat spays all cost the same, while the same surgery on a dog is going to vary depending on the size and age of the dog (a larger, older dog is technically more demanding, and requires more anesthesia and more time, and therefore costs the veterinarian more to perform) So, comparing prices on a cat vs a dog surgery is a little bit like comparing the price of oranges (which will vary during the year and how well the citrus crop survived various hurricanes) vs that or apples (of which there are more varieties and are more available) A neuter is technically less complex to do, and does not take as long as a spay, so typically it is less expensive to have a male animal neutered than a female spayed. However, it is much better to have the spay done while you are young--it will be more expensive if you wait, and if you are spayed before ever going into heat you virtually eliminate the chance you will get breast cancer. The exact age vets recommned a spay varies a bit too, but 5-6 month is pretty typical (some do it much earlier) Good luck--its not that bad, and the benefits far outweight the risks!
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I think $80 is reasonable. If it weren\'t for a certificate that I got, it would have cost me a lot more than that. I also would make sure that this is a vet that you trust.
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Spaying or neutering may seem to cost a lot, but it is the most important thing you can do. There are SO MANY kittens born each year who are unwanted and therefore abandoned. Everywhere on this site you see cats who were rescued from horrible circumstances and were lucky. Many are not. Do what my Mom did. Save up a bit of money each week. Then when it\'s time for the procedure, she\'ll have most of what it will cost. I would certainly get it done as early as possible, so you do not actually go in heat. Take care!
  • Ashley FowlerAshley Fowler NakinaMember Posts: 6
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks a lot! The information is helpful. I was really wanting Kitty spayed, people around me have tons of cats that aren't spayed or neutered. The males would be up here like crazy. I'm sure Kitty would be healthier and happier. As soon as she is old enough I'll have her spayed. Thanks a lot for everything!!
  • KatDKatD Member Posts: 23
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Yup! 5-6 months is a feasible age. Our veterinarian that my mom takes us to says 5-6 months for females, and 4-6 months or 4 pounds at least for males. We also pay $40 for neutered males and $90 for spayed females. So, completely reasonable at $80 if you ask us!
  • cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Sparkles! I just got spayed last week ... the day after my 6-month birthday. The stitches and my belly itch, but other than that, it was a breeze! Mommy paid $125 to have me spayed, but she says it was worth it to know I will be healthier in the long run and I won't have any kittens. She says there are too many kittens in the world and we have to do what we can to keep the kitten/cat population down. Maybe you can find a clinic that does spaying for a lesser price. Sometimes pet groups offer special deals for people to get their pets spayed/neutered for less. Look in your local paper, or call some vets or a local animal shelter and maybe they can tell you if anything like that is available where you live. Good luck! Daisy
    Daisy has some great ideas. You might also want to google \"Spay USA\" and see if they can help. They offer vouchers to defray the cost of spaying and neutering pets. They also organize clinics where people can take their pets. Also, the Spay-Neuter Assistance Program of NC offers spaying plus rabies and distemper vaccines for $60. Their calendar is here. Edited because I just read back and it doesn\'t seem like you are saying that spaying is too expensive. You were just looking for general info, so what I said above may not really apply. I\'m going to leave it though, because it might help somekitty else and this is a very important topic.
  • cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Alex That is good information! Mommy says spaying and neutering are the second most important thing you can do for a kitty (besides giving it a home). There are way too many kitties who don't have homes and never will. The only way to stop that is to spay/neuter! We live in the South and Mommy says it's a bigger problem there than up North or in other areas.
  • Katie MKatie M Member Posts: 5
    edited 17 April, 2007
    Wow, you guys got off real lucky in comparison to what you'd pay here in Ontrio, Canada! To have a female cat spayed it is usually a minimum on $120 and it goes up to $200 quite easily. That is what I am paying to have my cat spayed tomorrow. It is the same vet my family has been going to for years, so regardless of whether or not I could have gotten it cheaper somewhere else in town... I decided to go with the tried and trusted vet to make myself (and Athena) feel a little more comfortable and less worried about the whole procedure. Geez though... I wish I had a good vet to spay my kitty for $80!
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 17 April, 2007
    There are low cost spay/neuter clinics in the US and perhaps other countries, too. Do a Google search to locate a place near you.
  • Phoebe McPhoebodyPhoebe McPhoebody Member Posts: 744
    edited 17 April, 2007
    Guest: since I don't know where you are from, I don't know everything. But everyone else has already said some good stuff. Mommy adopted me from the humane society and $90 included all initial two rounds of shots and spaying. Mommy did have to pay for one extra visit and the final set of kitten shots, so figure it was a bit over $100 for all shots, visits, spaying, and the bonus of having ME. I am thinking that you did not get your cat from a society, so the $80 probably will include an exam and vaccinations as needed. It doesn't sound too bad. And, we are worth it! Thank you for being a responsible pet Mommy!
  • Anna CollinsAnna Collins DothanMember Posts: 96
    edited 17 April, 2007
    I agree with Daisy, there are alot more stray cats in the south than up north! we have 11 cats and all but 3 were strays. All are spayed or neutered except 2 of our males (we just haven't gotten around to taking them.) They don't roam anyway, there's nowhere to go and one of them is..well....lets just say his daddy and uncle are the same cat.......so he doesn't do much...but, spaying and neutering is very important if you want to keep the cat population down and your cat healthy. I'm glad you think spaying your cat is a good ides two thumbs way WAY up!=;=;
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 18 April, 2007
    $80 is reasonable, but expect eh price to go up by about $15-20 if she is in heat. Most vets recommend spaying between 4-6 months. Ther are many vets doing the procedure on pediatric animals as long as they weigh at least 2 pounds. Google " low cost spay your city and state" and you should get a list of place that do less expensive spays. I would recommend having your kitty get an injection of pain medication while in the hospital and ask for oral pain relief to go home. Many vets do not feel this is necessary, but would you go in fro a hysterectomy (this is what a spay is) and not go home on pain relief??? http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html
  • Lisa HoweLisa Howe ToledoMember Posts: 513
    edited 18 April, 2007
    You can also look around for a low cost spay/neuter profram, we have one here , I think it costs $25 for a male and only alittle more for a female. Mom always waiteduntil the kittens were 12 weeks, some people do it at 8 weeks, but you have to be atleat 2 lbs. to have it done. Good Luck, you'll be much healthier and happier when you get it done.