Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I have a 7 year old male neutered mixed cat and want to add a kitten. What should I get? Male, fema

My cat Joey is 7 yrs old and is a mixed breed indoor/outdoor cat. He is very lovable and friendly with us (never had a scratch on me). About a year ago we rescued a mixed breed male cat that we called Max (about 1.5 yrs old)... Unfortunately Joey and Max never got along... Max kept spraying everything and never got used to us... we tried to make Max as comfortable as we could but after a couple of month he finally just took off and never returned. My 10-year old daughter misses him dearly and wants a kitten badly now. I am torn... the experience with Max wasn't great... he sprayed everywhere and it took me several weeks to finally get rid of the smell... I am not sure if my older cat will tolerate the competition. If so, what do you suggest I get? Should it be a male or a female? How should I introduce him/her? What about the litter box? Joey doesn't use a litter box, he goes outside... Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! THANKS!

Best Answer

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Wow. We have a lot of issues here to discuss! In my experience, cats of both sexes can get along with each other. It seems to be more the personality of the cat than the sex. Joey may do better with a female, or he just may not want another animal in "his" space at all. Kittens usually adapt well to cats, but don't leave them unsupervised together. Introduce them slowly! Also, I have concerns that your cats are outside cats and Max ""finally just took off." That was ok??? Keeping kittens outside is asking for animal attacks and even being carried off by predatory birds. Where does Joey go outside? In the winter? Hopefully not in your neighbor's bushes. Won't make you popular around your neighborhood if you get another cat who does that also. And neighbors can be cruel to cats/dogs who do that. I think Joey might start using a litter box inside if you teach a kitten to do it also. Discuss the responsibilities of pet ownership with your daughter before you decide to add another.