Our 2 year old male inside cat got out by mistake. When he came back inside he sat there panting wi

Rupert has never been outside, only one other escape but I caught he going out that time. We figure Rupert spent at least a day and a whole night outside without food and water. He panted for at least an hour and slept most of the day. He is eating and drinking finally, using the box just fine and seems his usual self now despite his adventure. I was concerned since we live in Florida there are lots of insects, snakes and such outside. I did look Rupert over very well and did not find any bites or wounds. I am just feeling so bad. It was hard to sit and watch him panting. Any thoughts on this is appreciated!

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Since you are conscientious enough to keep your cat indoors and away from the perils of "the outside", I'm assuming you probably also have a vet.Take him to the vet and let practiced eyes and hands check him over--his heart, his lungs, eyes, ears, and his temperature. Vets can often see things we miss even though they're our kitties; mostly because vets know what they're looking for and are familiar with anything that might be lurking outdoors in your neighborhood. My vets always know when there is a rabid animal on the loose or when something like parvo has suddenly reared it's ugly head. Chances are that Rupert was just stressed out. Ernie likes to bolt out the door also in the nice weather but after a while, it no longer seems like such a good idea and he comes back and sleeps for hours. As long as Rupert has returned to normal, he's not wheezing, his eyes are clear and he's eating, I wouldn't worry.But do take him to the doc for your own piece of mind.
  • Vanessa HemrikaVanessa Hemrika LelystadMember Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    It could be the poor guy was just stressed out of his mind at having spend that much time away from home. I'd take him to the vet too, just to make sure he's okay.
  • Cynthia LeathersCynthia Leathers Member Posts: 131
    Accepted Answer
    I would take him to the vet for a once-over. Once, we found Cosmo panting - We didn't see any wounds on him, but he got sick later. We took him to the emergency room where they found a bee stinger between his paw pads. He got a Benadryl shot and was fine. Sometimes cats pant when they are sick. I'd take him to the vet and tell them what happened. If he got into some poison like licking antifreeze or oil off a carport, or ate a plant, he needs treatment sooner rather than later.
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    Accepted Answer
    http://www.petplace.com/cats/panting-in-cats/page1.aspx -- I wouldn't worry, since for cats, the vast majority of panting is caused by stress. if the panting is caused by other phisological issues (including insect bites, heart attacks, etc.) you'd see other signs. Just let your vet know in the regular course of treatment, and watch closely over the next few weeks for any other symptoms. this site lists symptoms that occur with panting *if* the panting is caused by illness.
  • Eva viezelEva viezel MontrealMember Posts: 3,008
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Pippin. Little dude was most probably stressed out. We do pant when we are stressed. If he appears to be back to normal,i.e eating and drinking that is good news. If you want to put your mind at ease you could take him to the vet for a check up.