My cat hasn't had a hairball in 2 mo. I also think she is constipated. what should I do? Her eating

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Not all cats have hairballs, but if she is acting lethargic and like she's not feeling well, then you need to take her to the vet, especially if there's been an unexplainable change in her behavior. You shouldn't self-medicate her if you aren't sure she's constipated. If she only eats wet food, dry food has more fiber. You might be able to interest her in that. Get her one that promotes digestive health. It's hard for us to "diagnose" whether or not your kitty has a health problem because we can't observe her and don't know what she's usually like. If you're concerned about her, then by all means call your vet.
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    Accepted Answer
    1) I would take her to the vet ASAP if she isn't eating. That is a sign that something is seriously wrong with her. 2) I'm with Izzy. Not all cats get hairballs, I don't think Sam has ever had one. 3) If you think she is constipated you might want to try laxatone in her food, but I would definitely take her to the vet IMMEDIATELY and not try the laxatone first.
  • Jennifer TannerJennifer Tanner Member Posts: 31
    Accepted Answer
    Not having hairballs isn't something to complain about unless that is usual for her. Before you begin medicating her, you might want to check with a vet and see what could be happening. They do make a Feline Laxitive available in a paste form. Sudden changes in a cat's diet can seriously upset their digestive system, too. You may want to consider gradually putting her on a cat food formula designed specifically for cats with sensitive stomachs. Being constipated for a cat is very uncomfortable, so be sure and check with a vet and get her some attention soon so she can be back to feeling herself.