why does one cat sometimes do a # 2 elsewhere in the house ? Help ! my two cats share a litter box t

Best Answers

• Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    Accepted Answer
    Some cats don't like to share-you should try getting another box and see if that helps.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    As the other poster said, I would add another litterbox. Is your kitty older? I had this same issue with a previous kitty (now Rainbow Bridge) and took him in to the vet to be checked out. Turned out he had arthritis and it was painful for him to go in and out of the litterbox. Vet recommended trying an uncovered box with low sides - and he did start using it again! Have you switched litter brands? What kind of box do you have? Some cats hate covered boxes while others love the privacy. You may want to get a new box in a different style and maybe try a new brand of litter in it too. Also, a trip to the vet to rule out any physical/medical problems may be a good idea.
  • Cynthia LeathersCynthia Leathers Member Posts: 131
    Accepted Answer
    The general rule is 1 litterbox for every cat you have, plus an extra one. Make sure your one cat isn't "guarding" the litter box so the other one has to do his business elsewhere. It sounds like he is being kept away from the box because the other kitty is being possessive when you're not around, or just in general.