My kitties have been sneezing but they are still very active/eating. Should I take them to the vet y

My kitties are now about 6 months old. They both had severe Upper Resperatory Infections when they were about 2-3 months, one of them also getting severe herpies in her eye. This sneezing is not nearly what is was like before so I am just thinking this is a minor reaccurance of the URI or allergies. Can cats even get allergies? Any thoughts/suggestions? Should I take them to the vet right away or give them a few more days to see if it gets better?

Best Answers

  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysMember Posts: 15,800
    Accepted Answer
    I would take them, just to be safe. Yes, cats can have allergies. My neighbor's cat, White Sox, has skin allergies and the vet prescribed Claratin to treat it.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Tinker Bell--you should take them to a vet and not wait to see if "it gets better." Kittens' immune systems get stronger as they get older, so your kittens may be having a recurrence of the same URI, just with less severe symptoms. Since the original URI seems to have been herpes, and since herpes tends to recur, and ESPECIALLY since one of the kittens had a severe eye infection the first time, an immediate vet visit is in order--always better safe than sorry. We live outside the U.S., where the standard treatment is liquid Interferon to boost the immune system, and an antibiotic (in my case, just eye drops) just in case the URI is in fact caused by a bacteria and not a virus, and to prevent the kitty from catching anything bacterial while its immune system is compromised. In the U.S., L-lysine is the drug of choice for boosting the immune system. Your vet is the best judge of diagnosis and treatment.
  • Accepted Answer
    Definitely take them in. It is known that once a cat gets an upper respiratory infection, it is very likely to return later in life- especially if the original infection was severe (since it is indeed possible for the surviving bacteria to remain dormant for a couple of months before 'ressurecting' themselves again when they feel the body is at a weak point. Your veterinarian will probably put them on a standard treatment of antibiotics, eyes drops, and fluids. Make absolute SURE that they get their full course of antibiotics, because the bacteria that were able to remain abeyant last time are probably immune to the previous antibiotic that was used. Best wishes to you two and your mum! Peace, ~Natasha :)
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to the new Catster Community!

Introduce the community to your pet with our Pet Profiles and discover how to use the new community with our Getting Started pages!


Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!