Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I'm super itchy this spring. Any easy remedies?

Karina GressKarina Gress Member Posts: 402
I've always had sensitive skin, and get itchy in the spring just like meowmy, but this spring it's driving me crazy. I've licked/scratched my inner back legs raw and naked. I've been to the vet a few times for the problem over the years, and he always said it was just dry skin and I need more oils in my diet, but nothing works. I've tried fish oil, vitamin E, nutramalt, and they're all icky (my feline family likes these so they're fine). My favorite food canned was discontinued (whiskas), and although I love the taste of Fancy Feast, it doesn't help with the itchies. I love to be brushed, so maybe a certain brush helps distribute skin oils better? When meowmy's skin gets really dry she uses olive oil (like the Greeks did). Can I use this too, or can anyone recommend something else? Can meowmy put something directly on my skin? Why is it so bad this year (I live in the Pacific NW)?

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    i haven't had the problem with my cat but my beagle has been scratching and pulling her hair out on her back by her tail and her belly was bright red. I used cortorzone cream on her and that didn't help. then i tried a handcream with oatmeal in it. believe it or not her skin turned back to normal color, no more redness and her hair is growing back. they say oatmeal baths help itching, so thats why i tried an oatmeal handcream.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    If you're truly miserable, there are a few things you can try. The first is to get a scrip for steroids from your vet. No, it won't make you look like Jose Canseco and have to go before some sort of Government Panel. Side effects of steroids for cats aren't so bad, and it can have a dramatic affect on the itchiness. Meowmie can also use hypo-allgergenic shampoo on you which will reduce the dosage of the steroids you'd have to take. Make sure meowmie uses a very soft brush to groom you because brushing can sometimes aggravate the itching. I wouldn't use any topical creams or oils unless you get the okey-dokey from your doc because you might lick it off and get sick from it. Lastly, like humans who have severe allergies, you can get shots for it.