I seem to developing a gap between my front teeth!

Lindsay PhelpsLindsay Phelps Littleton, COMember Posts: 3
Mom noticed, even though I didn't want to show her, that two of my very front little teeth, are going slightly crooked. I don't like her looking in my mouth, but she said my gums look fine and breath is just a little on the stinky side. Is this normal? Or I am really getting buck teeth!

Best Answers

• Calindy MannCalindy Mann Member Posts: 173
    Accepted Answer
    Is freeway a kitten? if so it could just be that he's lost a couple of his front baby teeth. Kittens lose their baby teeth just like children do, they falll on the floor or get swallowed usually. As long as he has healthy pink gums (or whatever skin color he has) and his breath is just slightly fishy and he has not trouble eating I wouldn't worry. I don't thing there'd be much that could be done for cosmetic reasons...I've never heard of cat braces. If he starts having trouble eating or any obvious changes in his mouth I'd go to a vet then.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Whoa! I think this is the first example of this question on this board! But it's a good one. Cat dental health is all too often overlooked but essential for the overall health of your cat. Anyway, I checked my 4 year old (Japanese moggy, excellent dental health) and my 1 and a half year old (Maine Coon, also good dental health, except for a congenital tendency toward gingivitis), and both have a gap between those four tiny little teeth on top. Since the cats are different ages and breeds, I conclude that the gap is normal. Maybe you just never noticed it before. But you say your teeth are "going slightly crooked." Moving teeth, as you suspect, are a sign of gum disease. Yet your cat seems to show no signs of that. Is Freeway eating well? If he were having dental problems, eating problems (especially with kibble) could be a clue. Could you try once more to look inside the mouth cavity? Cats can develop ulcers there, which go along with gum disease. You may want to check with your vet...