Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Hello Catsters, I am planning to buy flea medications online.

Can you tell me if Dr Foster and Smith site is reliable? Or is 1-800-Petmeds a good place to start? Frontline Plus for cats 3 Pk costs $46 at my Vet's office but it only costs $37.99 at Dr Foster and Smith. Just not sure how good the medicine would be Or do you think I should only get it from my Vet? I do not want to buy it because its cheap and put my kitty in danger. I thought why not buy it from here if its the same medication and if its reliable and cheaper. Please help me decide. I appreciate your response.

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Fosters and Smith is a good, reliable, upfront online retailer. I've dealt with them often and that they often will have things (like a grooming tool called a "matbreaker") that I couldn't find locally. They sell the same meds that you'd get at 1-800-Petmeds or at your vet. But remember that if you order off the Internet you'll also have to pay shipping/handling which could make the flea meds cost as much as it would if you got it from your vet.
  • Myndi DavisMyndi Davis LehiMember Posts: 215
    Accepted Answer
    Banfield the Pet Hospital (usually inside Petsmart stores) will match pricing from online stores such as Dr Foster and Smith. You just print out the current price of the medication and they will match it. It is nice because you get the cheap price without having to worry about how reliable a company is or what happens to the medication during shipment.
  • Stephany FogleStephany Fogle Member Posts: 4
    Accepted Answer
    I have ordered from Fosters & Smith and petmeds, both were the true flea meds and did not harm my cats. I had read a bulletin on-line a few months ago warning people to watch out for meds that were shipped from over seas. Not sure how true this is but it said the strenght of the meds were a bit different and may not work on your animal due to the meds not being strong enough. It made a bit of sense since some countries have different parasites and maybe not as bad as the US does. I would just suggest making sure your buying from a reputable company. Even places like ebay offer the meds but you don't know where they come from so I would be weary.