Cats Claws

My cat has recently tooken a liking to outdoors so I let him out from time to time. One night he came back all moody and I picked him up and examined him as I usually do. I noticed that 3 of his back nails were ripped out! So I have been putting Tea Tree Oil on them to ward off any infection. But I'm wondering..are the nails going to grow back?

Best Answers

• Myndi DavisMyndi Davis LehiMember Posts: 215
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, nails generally do grow back, even when they are broken near the base. You should have your vet look at it though because it could be possible they may grow back abnormally, also, if the nail is cracked, your vet may want to trim it. Sometimes, you need antibiotics. Its hard to say what would have caused this but it is possible your kitty may have gotten in a scuffle with another cat or dog, or could have been trying to get away from something. That worries me. I would keep your kitty inside or take him outside on a leash or supervise his outdoor time. Good luck with your kitty!
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    They will grow back, but if his paws are injured, Tea Tree Oil is not going to help. The oil is an antiseptic and has some anitobiotic properties, but works only on the surface. If he gets an infection that enters his bloodstream from these injuries, then you'll need to take him to a vet for treatment.