Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Please Read! Natural Balance has found melamine in food

Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
edited 18 April, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Premium pet food company recalls dry foods By Julie Schmit, USA TODAY Natural Balance Pet Foods said Tuesday it found melamine in two of its pet food products, which the company has recalled. Melamine is the chemical suspected of causing pet deaths and illnesses related to the Menu Foods recall, covering more than 60 million cans and pouches of wet dog and cat food from dozens of brands the past four weeks. But Natural Balance doesn\'t use wheat gluten, the ingredient contaminated with melamine in the Menu recall. Instead, it suspects that melamine was in a rice protein concentrate, a new ingredient used in the dry foods, said Natural Balance president Joey Herrick. \"That was the only change in the product,\" he says. The concentrate is now being tested, he added. Melamine was detected in samples of the food. The recalled foods are: Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods. Whether other pet food makers got the same rice protein concentrate is unclear at this time. Herrick says the food was made for Natural Balance by Diamond Pet Foods. FIND MORE STORIES IN: Menu | Menu Foods Diamond Pet Food makes no other food that includes rice protein concentrate, spokesman Jim Fallon says. Herrick also said Diamond got the rice protein concentrate from an American company, which he wouldn\'t name. The melamine in the Menu Foods recall was in wheat gluten imported from China. The company has recalled all dates of the two products, although Herrick says it has only received complaints for food made March 28. Herrick says Natural Balance, a premium pet food maker based in California, started getting calls Thursday from consumers reporting that dogs were vomiting. By Friday, the company had received calls from seven households regarding 11 dogs, Herrick said. The company also says it has received reports of animals suffering kidney problems, which has also occurred in the Menu recall. The consumer calls set off alarms because \"we don\'t get that,\" Herrick said. The company has also received reports involving three or four cats, he said. Natural sent out the food Friday to be tested for the usual things that would cause animals to vomit, such as pesticides and heavy metals, Herrick says. No animals had yet died but that the company had reports that some were hospitalized, he said. Melamine is not allowed in human or pet food. It is an industrial chemical used in plastics making in the USA and as a fertilizer in Asia, the Food and Drug Administration says. While melamine is not highly toxic, the FDA is investigating whether it, or something related to it, is responsible for pet deaths in the Menu recall. http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/2007-04-17-premium-pet-food-recalled_N.htm

Comments

• Tanya GarreauTanya Garreau Lake GenevaMember Posts: 240
    edited 17 April, 2007
    i just heard about this on CNN. when will it end... :(
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 17 April, 2007
    How is this happening? We love our Natural Balance and choose it specifically because it was made with high quality ingredients. Mom isn't going to freak out yet and we can still have our lite formula since they haven't recalled it. We just feel badly because when all the Menu foods recalls were happening we recommended Natural Balance to so many other kitties.
  • Toba HartmannToba Hartmann Long IslandMember Posts: 1,185
    edited 17 April, 2007
    Mom went and traded our NB Venison & green pea dry food (which we LOVE!) for NB ultra, which seems to be OK. Only problem, we were on the V&GP because of allergies.....SIGH...we'll probably get the itchies again. But I guess that's better than renal failure.
  • Toba HartmannToba Hartmann Long IslandMember Posts: 1,185
    edited 17 April, 2007
    This is a press release I just got off the Natural Balance website. Contact: Consumer Inquiries: (800) 829-4493 Media Inquiries: Daniel Bernstein 310-275-0777 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Pacoima, CA -- April 17, 2007-- Natural Balance, Pacoima, CA, is issuing a voluntary nationwide recall for all of its Venison dog products and the dry Venison cat food only, regardless of date codes. The recalled products include Venison and Brown Rice canned and bagged dog foods, Venison and Brown Rice dog treats, and Venison and Green Pea dry cat food. Recent laboratory results show that the products contain melamine. We believe the source of the melamine is a rice protein concentrate. Natural Balance has confirmed this morning that some production batches of these products may contain melamine. The recall was prompted by consumer complaints received by Natural Balance involving a small number of cats and dogs that developed kidney failure after eating the affected product. Dogs or cats who have consumed the suspect food and show signs of kidney failure (such as loss of appetite, lethargy and vomiting) should be seen by a veterinarian. We recommend our customers immediately stop feeding our recalled venison products regardless of date code and return unused product to their retailer for a full refund. The products are packaged in bags, cans and zip lock treat bags and sold in pet specialty stores and PetCo nationally. No other Natural Balance products are involved in this voluntary recall as none of our other formulas include the rice protein concentrate. Although the problems seem to be focused on a particular production period of the venison products, over the last four days we have notified our distributors and retailers by phone and e-mail to immediately stop selling and return all recalled Venison dog foods and treats and the Venison dry cat food. Venison canned cat food is not involved. The source of the melamine appears to be a rice protein concentrate, which was recently added to the dry venison formulas. Natural Balance does not use wheat gluten, which was associated with the previous melamine contamination. None of Natural Balance’s other dry formulas, none of our other canned or roll products and none of our other treats are involved with this voluntary recall. We continue to work closely with the FDA in their ongoing investigation. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-800-829-449 or email [email protected]
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 17 April, 2007
    It seems that Natural Balance had recently changed the recipe for their Venison foods and added Rice Protein Concentrate. That is the ingredient in which they\'ve found the melamine. If you check the NB website, you\'ll see that they changed and updated the ingredient list for those foods to include the Rice Protein Concentrate. This is bothersome because these foods are for cats and dogs with allergies and are not supposed to contain any grains. Anyway, I read that this Rice Protein Concentrate was bought from an American company which had imported it from -- where else? -- China. This is unfortunate for NB because they are one of the best pet food companies out there. KC and Mittens eat NB canned foods and some of them have brown rice powder. I hope this recall will not include the foods with the brown rice powder.
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 18 April, 2007
  • D GarmanD Garman RichmondMember Posts: 745
    edited 18 April, 2007
    I'm glad you started this post, Abby. I had wondered HOW this happened to NB foods because, having researched and considered them when switching foods, I knew they claimed there was no wheat in their products. This is so sad. I am so upset and so concerned for not only my pets, but every animal out there. Mom recently bought some Blue Buffalo canned food for the mutts and it's the venison kind. Different company, I know, but we're off now to research that. Sigh.
  • Dolores LenzDolores Lenz MissionMember Posts: 341
    edited 18 April, 2007
    Thanks so much for the info. We use Iams multicat formula. I keep hoping that won\'t appear on the recall list. Mummy threw out 2 bags of Purina One dry food because the ingredients said \"Wheat Gluten\". No way we were going to chance it. Why suddenly so much recall on pet food? It seems very odd to me.
    edited 18 April, 2007
    And now there is information that says corn gluten may also be contaminated http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-goldstein/tainted-rice-gluten-now-l_b_46116.html
  • eva pennyeva penny chehalisMember Posts: 528
    edited 18 April, 2007
    We are going grain free until this whole mess is sorted out! :? Here are some choices: Wellness Core Raw Instinct Orijen Serengeti (Timberwolf Organics) Innova EVO (I think we're going to try this one) Hope this helps some Cats |:|
  • Alice RamseyAlice Ramsey Piney Flats/Johnson CityMember Posts: 1,241
    edited 18 April, 2007
    Mom is very mad right now. We all eat Natural Balance. I eat the Venison Cat food and our dog eats the Venison Dog food. Here is what we have found out from the Natural Balance Company. Someone at Natural Balance decided to change the formula of the Venison dog food. It did not contain Rice Protein until the end of March. According to Natural Balance, only the food produced on or after March 28, 2007 is affected. They say they had no idea the rice protein they were purchasing was not produced in the United States. It was extremely stupid for the company to change their formula in the midst of what has been happening with Menu Foods. Their product WAS an excellent product until this new formula. The company says they did not ship any of the contaminated food to any of the states in the southeast part of the US. They say they have not changed the formula of the cat food. Supposedly it is only the Venison Dog food that is affected. That really does not make Mom feel much better. The real problem with the contaminated pet food is a company called ChemNutra. They are the ones that supplied the wheat gluten to Menu Foods. They purchased the wheat gluten from XuZhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. Ltd. Not surprising, ChemNutra also imports rice protein and what is really scary for us kitties, taurine from China. I think we should all write to ChemNutra and let them know what we think of them. We should all contact our Senators and Congress members and let them know this is unacceptable and there should be more control in the pet food industry. Someone should be held accountable for all the suffering of our fur covered family members. If this could happen on such a large scale with pet food, what is stopping it from happening with human food? I am now stepping off my soapbox.
    edited 18 April, 2007
    YES YES YES!! THis is what I have been saying from day one!! Please wirtie your representatives!! I started threads with sample letters in the laws and legislation and in this, the food and nutrition forums!! Please write guys!! If 39,000 people or babies were dead there would be riots in the street! As far as me and Mom are concerned we are all just as important!
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 18 April, 2007
    What's sad is that mommy heard about the Natural Balance from the news...and has not heard ANYTHING from the company itself yet...and mommy works for a retailer that carries Natural Balance (including the recalled formulas)!!! Of course as soon as there was any question about the food, mommy pulled it off the shelves. ALL of the Natural Balance brand until she hears further. And she's demanding Natural Balance come pick up the recalled food at their expense and reimburse us. That's crap, my friends (pardon the language). ~Jet Giotto~