Why do I pee outside my litter box and pull out my fur

Brenna PowerBrenna Power SacramentoMember Posts: 2
I've taken her to the vet and he says she's fine, but somethig is going on

Best Answers

• Amanda SundbergAmanda Sundberg TulsaMember Posts: 257
    Accepted Answer
    If she's peeing JUST outside the litter box it could be that its too small for her. Do you keep her box immaculate? Maybe you need to scoop more often. Did the vet to a urinalysis? She may have a bladder infection. If she's pulling out her fur it may be allergy related.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    Well, these could be medical or behavioral issues. Like you said, something is going on and if your vet says she's fine I would seek a second opinion.
  • Cynthia LeathersCynthia Leathers Member Posts: 131
    Accepted Answer
    If the peeing outside the box has started recently, something has changed. Either you changed litter, the litter isn't clean enough, you moved the litter box, or she has had some negative experience with the box (I once had a cat who heard a loud thunderclap while he was in the box, and he peed outside the box for weeks!) If it is not behavioral, it could be medical. Have a urinalysis done. Your cat may need to be on a special diet for urinary tract issues. Only a veterinary urinalysis can tell you for sure. The pulling out of fur - if it occurs around the cat's rear, it may be the cat is in pain from a urinary blockage. Or it could be a food allergy. Make sure your cat's food has no corn, wheat or rice in it. All can cause skin irritation. Try a food like Wellness or something grain free. But don't change food until you consult your vet about the urinary blockage. Sometimes vets don't catch it the first time around. Keep watching her for signs of pain when she urinates.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    It drives me crazy when vets say "There's nothing wrong." ! But that should inspire us to examine our pet's behavior more closely. Have you added another member to your family? Is there anything about Neela's day-to-day life that's changed? (Even small stuff can weird them out like changing litter, I once gave my cats the "sale"stuff and they hated it. It cost me the money I thought I'd saved to have my carpets cleaned where they peed outside the box. ). Elimination outside the box is their way of sending us a message that something's not right, either physically or emotionally. If you don't care to get a second opinion, call your vet, tell them she's STILL peeing outside the box and pulling out her fur and you need their help in finding the cause and the solution. With your knowledge of Neela and their professional experience, I'll bet you all can find out what's going on with her.
  • Christine BuehlerChristine Buehler Grand BlancMember Posts: 69
    Accepted Answer
    take out all the litter, clean the box, then put all new litter, could be the type of litter some will not use a box that has the clay litter only the scoopable type, I found that out pretty quick, and it has to be large enough to, then put her in and do the retrain to use it thing again, ask yourself, would you use that box, if you had to is is clean and big enough for you?