We moved, had the cat in the car and hotel, it wont come out from unde the bed and get along with th

How do I get this cat to eat and use the litter box when it is scared to move from under the bed, I put food and it eats but doesnt chew, drinks water, both daily and i put it in the litter box and wont come out until i grab it out and still under the bed. This has been since December, how much longer and I am affraid of its health, and I do not want to get rid of it

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    It sounds to me like this cat had the feline equivalent of a nervous breakdown. Are the three other cats new? Or did he grow up with them? If he previously was a good feline citizen, friendly and affectionate, then something definitely happened to terrify him along the way when you moved. A car trip/hotel/new home shouldn't weird a cat out for 7 months! I've heard that you can give a cat the feline dosage of Prozac or other anti-depressants. The next time you get him out from under the bed, make an appointment with your vet, tell them what this poor guy has been doing and leave it to them to psyche him out.
  • kate baileykate bailey mineral ridge/niles/austintownMember Posts: 24
    Accepted Answer
    i know what your going through 3 years ago we moved 4 hours away. my cat at the old country house was an inside/outside cat. when we got to the new city house she hid in the basement for 6 months. i finally got tired of it so i moved her food upstairs showed her where it was and let her run back downstairs. soon enough she figured out if she wanted to eat she had to come out. and at long last we had our cat back even though here she's strictly inside. she's done the same thing when we've brought new dogs home also. but always warms up in her own time.