Now that I've been spayed I've started eating a bit more & I'm putting on weight. Is this hormones o

Jessica ArendJessica Arend MonroeMember Posts: 17
I've also just turned 1, so my Mommy started giving me big kitty food. Could this maybe be the cause?

Best Answers

• Amanda SundbergAmanda Sundberg TulsaMember Posts: 257
    Accepted Answer
    this is something most spayed kitties go through. putting on weight and sleeping more after being spayed is normal and you will probably end up having to restrict her food intake. it has to do with the lowered estrogen levels.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Kittens have much faster metabolisms than adult cats and typically start to fill out when they get to about a year old so this sounds quite normal. The adult cat food actually has less calories in it so its good that you've switched over to that. Ask your mum to give you fixed amounts of food rather than the temptation of freefeeding from an always full kibble bowl. Extra playtime to help you exercise will be good too. Is there anything else that makes you think Kisa is depressed? Eating more is a sign in people but in cats they usually actually stop eating/eat less if they are depressed.