our 2 month old kitten is peeing on the furniture and we can't get her to stop. how can we get her

we introduced our kitten not that long ago to our 8 year old. they are both females. Our kitten has started getting into the habit of peeing on our futon. we can't get her to stop. what should we do. the old cat still shares the litter box just fine, but she beats on the little one a lot.

Best Answers

• Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    Accepted Answer
    Are they both desexed? They should be if they aren't. I gather they are both sharing a litter box right now? That will not do and may be part of the problem. You need one litter box for each cat you have + one. So for two cats you really should have three boxes. _At least_ have two. Improper urination can also be a sign that something is medically wrong with your kitten, so please take her to the vet right away.
  • Amanda SundbergAmanda Sundberg TulsaMember Posts: 257
    Accepted Answer
    If your kitten is only 8 weeks old she may not always be able to get to the box and/or forget where it is. Did you confine her when you first brought her home? I would confine her to an area that has her OWN litter box for a few days and slowly let her back out into the household. If that doesn't help the problem (the confinement and addition of a second box in the house) I'd add take your baby to the vet for a urinalysis. The previous poster was correct, you need a litter box per cat +1. I know that with limited space this isn't always possible. Our household has two cats and two boxes (one in roommate's room w/ her cat and one in mine with my cat) but before we moved into a smaller house we'd talked about getting a third.