Hi! My stray kitten's nostril is very swollen and one eye is watering. Do you know what is wrong?

The right eye is very watery (the right nostril is the swollen nostril). There is a fleshy growth in the nostril, but the vet can't identify it. They would like to do a diagnostic test wherein they remove a sample, but it will be very expensive. Thanks!

Best Answers

• Lauren W-Lauren W- Member Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    It could be any of the following: Sinus infection Bug Bite (Maybe while she was sleeping) Basic Flu Dental Infection Or any Kind of Growth Allergy Clean it with cool water and give her a big blanket and pillow, a bowl of food, and just let her relax. Clean it every 4 hours or so. If it's not better in about 2-3 days, you just might have to take her to the vet. Best of luck and may God be with you and your kitten. -Auburncutie4ever
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Uh...if the vet thinks a growth is suspicious, he's talking about cancer, I would assume. Even if the test is expensive, don't you think you should know if the growth is malignant or benign? It's your call, but if you just assume that Kitty is okay and don't have it tested, how will you feel if it turns out that it was something serious? If you love your cat enough, you should be willing to spend the money for a test. Or, at the very least, go to another vet for a second opinion--as many people do when diagnosed with a serious disease. Good luck!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Harvey called it. I don't think the vet would think of removing a sample unless he suspected the growth is cancerous. Talk to the vet about cutting you a break for it, especially if you are a good samaritan to this cat. Or call around and ask other vets whether they are willing to offer you such a break.