I was watching a video of Diamond. a white cat who was walked on a lease. How do you train a kitten

I have two kittens age four months. I have tried a small chest type collar and lease but they went crazy and then I tried a regular collar and lease but the same reaction. They ran away and tried to get the collar off. Any suggestions? I would really like to teach them to walk on a lease.

Best Answers

• Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    Accepted Answer
    Firstly, please don't use a collar and leash. This can be very dangerous for a cat, especially if they manage to escape and get caught in a tree. You need to find an appropriately sized harness. Try leaving it out around your kittens, letting them get used to it. Progress to getting them to wear the harness, inside, and give them treats and positive attention. Then get them used to having the leash attached. Do all this slowly, over a period of weeks, to get them relaxed and used to the harness, while inside. When they're fairly happy on it, start taking them outside. Especially at the beginning, don't try to lead the kitten too much, but let them take the lead. Above all, make it a positive experience for them. Offer treats, speak calmly, and do NOT drag them around on the harness. Good luck:)
  • lola nipperlola nipper Member Posts: 34
    Accepted Answer
    get a leash go back and fourth on your side walk take it easy
  • megan tmegan t ManitouwadgeMember Posts: 13
    Accepted Answer
    Check out Catser's Cat Manual, they have great instructions on getting your cat to get used to using a leash. I bought a harness for my baby kitty and she doesn't mind when I put it on. She is very very trusting of me though.