I HAVE 2 MALE CATS OVER 5 YEARS OLD, THEY SPRAY EVERYWHERE, IF I GET THEM FIXED WILL THEY STOP SPRAY

Best Answers

• stef andstef and LemesosMember Posts: 1,132
    Accepted Answer
    Getting them fixed will help up to a point but as you said they are over 5 years old so, spraying might have turned to a habit for them. Although getting them neutered will help not only with the spraying but also with not increasing the stray kitten's number
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Like Tom said, at this point it might not just be a physiological need, but also a well ingrained habit. The good news: neutering them will reduce their testosterone level down to zero, which should take care of the frequency of spraying The bad news: you still might need to work on re-training your cats not to spray all over creation. Your vet may have suggestions, up to and including using Feliway (a hormone that calms cats down) to take care of the behavioral side. My suggestion? When you make an appointment with the vet to have your cats fixed, talk to the vet, or a vet tech about the spraying problem too, so that they can help you figure out what else aside for neutering will need to be done to prevent and reduce the frequency of their spraying.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    The other posters advice is good. You'll also need to thoroughly clean everything they have sprayed so they won't be attracted back by the smell. Ordinary cleaners will still leave behind traces that a cat can detect but Natures Miracle is a good cleaner that has an enzyme in it that completely removes the smell of cat pee. Also you should know that after neutering it will take a while for the testosterone level to go down to zero so they may still have the urge to spray for up to 4 months. Its definitely the best thing to do and once your cats are neutered you'll have a good chance of retraining them to stop spraying.