why does my cat urinate everywhere?

we took in a stray cat about 6 months ago and have had few problems with her up until about 3 months ago. She has been peeing: in front of the bath tub and behind it, in front of and the sides of the litter box, on random papers lying about and on our smaller carpeted area leading to the steps as well as other random areas (laundry baskets, etc..). I am cleaning it up about 1-3 times a day and I am fed up. What can I do! Do we have to send her back outside? I have tried putting tin foil in all the places that she pees and it has worked for a little while but recently she just decided to go on the foil now too! AHHHHHHHHHRG!

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Take her to the vet to see if she has a urinary tract infection UTI. That's the most common thing thats makes cats start peeing outside their box. You'll also need to completely get rid of the smell so that she isn't encouraged to go there again. Normal cleaning makes it so we can't smell anything but your cat probbaly still can. Natures Miracle is a good product that has some kind of enzyme in it that will completely remove any trace of the smell. If she doesn't have a UTI there are some other things you can try. Going outside their box is usually caused by stress of some kind - cats hate change and can get stressed by small changes/new things. If you changed the liter/box location change it back. Feliway diffusers are pretty good at helping reduce cat anxiety. Also try an additional litter box in a different location in case there is something she doesn't like about the bathroom.
  • Lynette AckmanLynette Ackman Member Posts: 61
    Accepted Answer
    Have you had the cat spayed/neutered? An unneutered/unspayed cat will spray urine to mark territory. More info: http://www.felineoutreach.org/EducationDetail.asp?cat=HouseSoiling
  • Tiffany schweiglTiffany schweigl Green Bay WIMember Posts: 5
    Accepted Answer
    use unscented litter some cats like that...and if it is scented they may go in other places if they are cheeky