Spaying my girls o birth control shot?

Karina van TwiskKarina van Twisk Quito EcuadorMember Posts: 28
My husband and I have two kittens of 2 years old. Both are sisters and need to get spayed asap. Our problem is that we live in Ecuador a country where clinics and hospital do not have all recommended hygiene and experience, specially in surgery rooms. We are currently looking for one that more or less accomplish standards. In the meantime our both cats are in heat and one of them with more symptoms than the other. I've heard about a birth control shot that can help them not only to not getting pregnant but also with the uncomfortable heating problems. - Is this shot recommended? - What should I look in a vet clinic or hospital to make sure my babies won't die during surgery? The doctors told me it's a simple procedure that doesn't last a long time and that they can comeback to home after. I am not so sure though since they get a big cut ... is it better for them to stay over night at the hospital after surgery? Thanks for all your answers. I appreciate your help.

Best Answer

• Amanda SundbergAmanda Sundberg TulsaMember Posts: 257
    Accepted Answer
    A spay is an invasive surgery that can be dangerous if the hospital is not a sterile environment. I would talk to different hospitals and see what methods they use and even tour them to see how clean they are. A spay incision should really be no longer than half your pinky (well, half MY pinky anyway, but you get the idea) and most hospitals will do internal, dissolving sutures. As long as the hospital sterilizes their instruments and the surgeons are properly scrubbed, gloved and masked it should be a simple procedure with minimal risks. At our hospital we keep the animal over night and send them home in the morning.