My 11 year old cat has started hissing at our 3 1/2 year old son.

Mary McKinneyMary McKinney League CityMember Posts: 3
My 11 year old cat has started hissing at our 3 1/2 year old son. We don't understand because she was here before he was born. However, he is Autistic and has just started to acknowledge her. I am present when he reaches out to touch her. She doesn't even let him extend his finger and she hisses loudly. He then cries because he knows it is an act of agression. Why? And more importantly how can I get her to stop?

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Is it possible that at some time when you may not have been watching, your son may have done something to Sofie, even with the best of intentions to be nice to her, that may have scared or hurt her? An animal usually does not react in the manner Sofie is without provocation. If your son is unusually loud or makes jerky movements or has emotional outbursts, this may also have frightened Sofie. You can try getting a non-contact toy such as a laser pointer for you and your son to play with Sofie, or even a cat-fishing pole with a mouse on the end of it. Once Sofie sees your son as a playmate, she may change her "tune" toward him.
  • STEPHANIE WOODSTEPHANIE WOOD Member Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer
    It sounds crazy, but she might have a false pregnancy. Have you taken her to the vet? At her age, you might want to check for any other health problems, painful cysts, etc. Good luck!