My 10 month cat destroys everything on my tables. Is there anything I can spray on items to make th

He especially likes to destroy dried and artificial flowers. It looks like we just moved in cause I can't keep anything on my tables!

Best Answers

• Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    Accepted Answer
    There are like "cat-off" products that I'm not sure work. There is also bitter apple sprays, and cats hate citrus, but depending on what you put them on they might become sticky or stain (I'm thinking about the artificial flowers). You can also work to keep your cat off of the tables entirely, not just stopping him from doing bad things once up there. It would be easier to simply move these items somewhere else that he cannot get to. Dried flowers in particular could be dangerous or deadly to a cat.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Atrus is right. Artificial flowers often have little pieces and wires that can cause fatal damage if chewed and/or swallowed. When Izzie does this, I do let him know I'm not a happy camper. He's intelligent enough to know that when Mom's not pleased, that's not a good thing. I also buy him lots of his own toys and keep introducing new ones, just like with a child. Of course, there are some things, as a cat owner, that you just won't be able to have out and flower arrangements may be one of them. I've heard that putting bubble wrap on the tables sometimes works to keep them off.
  • Accepted Answer
    Well, your cat is still young and by the sound of it- he is probably bored! Make sure to play with him every day. Take him for walks outdoors on a harness and offer him a new kind of kitty toy every week to keep his mind stimulated. Even better, purchase a cat tree and a laser pointer and run the laser up and down the tree, having your kitten chase the laser up and down, tiring him out so he won't have the energy to destroy your home. As far as keeping him from destroying the artificial flowers, there are many types of anti-cat sprays you can spray on there, but I think your simplest solution would be to hide some shredded orange or lemon peels inside the flowers. Cats hate the smell of citrus, and they can smell a lot better than humans. By hiding the lemon peels inside of the flowers and in the vase, your guests can't see them- and your cat will stay away! Best of luck!
  • Mandy PorterMandy Porter Fort WorthMember Posts: 4
    Accepted Answer
    When you see him do it, an empty soda can with pennies in it will help. Just shake it once or twice real quick when you see the behavior. I had a piggy problem with Horus and used this method. Now whenever he even sees the can, he will not exhibit his food theft behavior. Got that idea from the vet and it has also helped in other aspects of his behavior. Trust me, Horus has been a challenge for me.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    I had the same problem with vases and plants. I finally gave up and only put them on counters that were too tall for the cats to climb.
  • Julie SargelJulie Sargel Next to Treats, By FishtankMember Posts: 78
    Accepted Answer
    I'm Mo, and I'm a 7 mo. old climber. You've got some awesome answers already. But something Mom does to keep me out of trouble is to keep a plant mister w/ just regular tap water nearby, and when I get into mischief, she just gives me a little squirt--not supersoaker sized--and that's all it takes to get me off tables and out of trouble. I really am getting the hint. Mom knows it takes consistency and patience! Good luck!