We just got a kitty spayed and we don't know what to do. HELP!

Jessica HolbrookJessica Holbrook EvansvilleMember Posts: 38
My SIL just got Twinkie (a 6 month old girl) spayed today and we don't know what to do. The vet didn't give my SIL any instructions except how to start feeding her again and to check her stitches periodically. My SIL is locking her in the bathroom for the night so she can't hurt herself but the bathroom is in our bedroom and she's upset, crying, and tearing up the carpet. She seems fine when we come in and talk to her and pet her, but we can't do that all night. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    You just need to make sure she doesn't jump around too much for the 1st few days so you don't need to keep her locked up in the bathroom since it's upsetting her. It sounds like she's recovered well from the anesthetic so just make sure she's fully bright and alert and drinking and eating normally by tomorrow. Most of the time cats recover amazingly quickly and don't have any issues but these are the things to watch out for: Check her incision/stitches several times a day. What you need to watch for is any redness or swelling (which could be from an infection or a reaction to the stitches) or if any stitches have come loose. Call the vet and take her back in ASAP if you see any of these happening as they could be very serious. Also make sure she doesn't worry at her stitches as excessive licking or biting could break the stitches or keep the wound from healing properly. The vet can give you an ecollar to stop her licking/biting if needed.
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    Accepted Answer
    Jingo gave you some good advice. The main thing you want to ensure is that she doesnt try to jump around too much (yeah, right).... I had to wear a collar for a few days so I wouldnt bother my stitches. Keep an eye on her belly to make sure it doesnt get red. Your vet may be open today if you want to call them. They should be able to answer any questions over the phone without charging you. But it sounds like she is doing pretty well....