I just had my cat a little over a year and a half neutered. His back seems sensetive. Does this seem

He seems to slump some when you pet him.

Best Answers

• Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    Accepted Answer
    My male is 2, and had his bits removed when he was 6 months. He did the limbo thing before the op, and he still does it now. He does it if he wants to be left alone, or is just not in the mood for a cuddle. If you are worried, call your vet, but it sounds fairly normal to me. Has he ever done it before? It may well be that he is just feeling a bit sorry for himself, and wants a bit of quiet time. The main thing would be to keep an eye on the surgery site for signs of infection (very unlikely!). If there is any redness, oozing, or the area feels hot, call your vet. Good luck:)
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, I agree with Suey. That's standard cat language for "I don't want to be petted right now." Although I doubt that he has noticed that he's missing some parts, he could have been slightly traumatized by being in the hospital. And surgery of any kind can take its toll emotionally, although neutering is simple, as surgeries go, and most cats don't even need any real recovery time. Just make sure that he's not in a bad mood due to an infection, as Suey advises. Make sure he isn't licking himself too much down there--it can be a sign of infection, or cause infection, although most cats will lick the area at least a bit and not harm themselves.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Suey and Spike are right. I think what you're seeing is just a coincidence and not part of the neutering. Males recover amazingly quickly from this surgery, and my vet told me the surgery itself only takes about a minute. I've noticed that as Izzie has "grown up", he's not as affectionate as he used to be either. He's still a lap cat and (if he feels like it) will let me hug and kiss him, but now that he's a grown up dude, he'd rather be sitting on the cat shelf and planning what he's going to do when he catches the squirrel who sits in the tree and challenges him all day.