cat has diaohrea what should I do

Milly is 3 year old male cat. He is a large cat and always been healthy He is a house cat. He nibbles at at plant (Dragon Tree) He eats fresh fish and kitekat food. He has had diaohrea for about 4 days. He looks as if he has lost a little weight but he is still running around and has no change in habits. We have another cat she is not affected at all.

Best Answers

  • Karen OelschlaegerKaren Oelschlaeger Member Posts: 24
    Accepted Answer
    Hi there, Sorry to hear about Milly. I would say that if the diarrhea has persisted for four full days, take your cat to the vet! Please! Part of the problem could be that many consider the Dragon Tree plant to be toxic to cats. The Cat Fanciers' Association lists the Dragon Tree on their list of plants that are poisonous to cats. Also, what kind of fish are you feeding? And when you say fresh, do you mean raw? If so, salmon skin contains a parasite that could be contributing to the problem if the fish has not been cooked. Bottom line: if Milly has lost weight from diarrhea that has continued for four days, get him to the vet! By the way, have their been any major changes in your home? A new pet, a family member moving in or out of the house? Major changes in your pet's life could also trigger digestive upset.
  • Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    Accepted Answer
    Milly needs to see the vet, sooner rather than later. We are not vets here and can't tell you what's wrong with him. Without knowing what's wrong, we can't guess at how to fix it. Make sure he is drinking fresh water, as he will probably be dehydrated. Get him to the vet as soon as possible.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Are you aware that Dragon Tree plants are poisonous to cats? Even if he just "nibbles" at your plant, he is ingesting something that could very well kill him. If he's been eating this plant for a while, the toxins are building up in his system. Your other cat probably doesn't eat plats nd that' why she is OK. You need to get Milly to the vet right now for treatment. And, get rid of that plant and any others you may have.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to the new Catster Community!

Introduce the community to your pet with our Pet Profiles and discover how to use the new community with our Getting Started pages!


Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!