stiches question

i will ask my vet this in the morning but in the meantime i'll throw it here. Anyone know how long it is untili it's ok for kitty to lick her tummy after a spay surgery? the insturctions the vat gave me said to prevent it with bad tasting cream or the goofy looking collar but not for how long. They've got the dissolvable stiches inside with glue on the outside. One does not have the goofy looking collar because she does well enough with just the cream but i'm concered with her licking it tonight if the cream wears off. how big of a worry do you think that'd be? Why aren't they allowed to lick if there's no outside stiches to risk pulling out?

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    None of mine have even had a collar or any cream and I have had 4 spayed in the last year or so. I never had a problem with the stitches coming out. They just told me to "discourage" licking and to keep them from jumping on things too much. Kira got a bump from a reaction to the stitches but even then, she didn't pick at them. Within 2 weeks, you would never even know she had surgery if she wasn't shaved on her belly.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    My vet automatically gives me one of those collars for my animals whenever they have something they're not supposed to lick or chew at. Especially with cats, it's not a good idea for them to lick at all since their saliva has irritating stuff in it and their tongues are rough and can irritate the skin. It's not so much the stitches as a secondary rash at the incision site where a rash together with the stitches would be very uncomfortable, encourage more licking/chewing and eventually cause an infection. If she's really going at it, sorry to say, you'll need to use an e-collar on her especially if you can't watch her all the time. I know. My animals and I agree that those things are a pain in the you know what, but sometimes they're necessary.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    When I got spayed, our vet said to limit cleaning in that area for 7-10 days or until the stitches don't look red anymore. The reason you still should not lick dissolvable stitches is that the site is raw/red, which means that any licking can expose it to infection. I licked mine, and it became an angry red color. We went to the vet, and mom was told to keep me on a collar for about a week just to make sure I wouldn't do that anymore. I would suggest that you re-apply a bit of cream before you go to bed just in case, and keep checking the site of the surgery twice a day. After a while, it will look like the site is definitely healing (i.e., the stitches will start to look less visible, and a bit of fuzz will have grown back), and you can relax a bit, but I would still check twice a day until the stitches dissolve, for the most part.