Permanent fat deposit after spay?

I had my kitten spayed and she had the normal lump/swelling from internal stiches. But, after it all went away she still has a good-sized fat pocket on her tummy. The vet tech said sometimes when they get spayed fat seeps out and gets trapped. She said it will never go away but shouldn't bother her. Is this true, or did they mess up? It doesn't look right - she is a healthy kitten with a pooch hanging down from her tummy! I've never heard of this happening. Anyone else??

Best Answers

• Accepted Answer
    Actually, this is normal. It's commonly known as "spay sway", hehe. Spaying a cat slows down it's metabolism, therefore small fat deposits are normal. Proper feeding and exercise practices will keep this fat deposit from becoming larger. If you are seriously concerned about this lump of fat and are worried that it could be a tumor of some sort- get a second vet's opinion.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    Four of my girls were spayed in the last year and three of them have the hanging belly. Two different vets at my clinic did the spays so it's not just a careless doctor. It is perfectly normal. Mine all have long hair so you can't even see it. But my 2 previous short haired cats also had it and when they ran it would wag back and forth. It's nothing at all to worry about and your vet tech was correct, it does not bother them a bit.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    Actually Oscar J. Cat has a little pooch too since he's been neutered. Doesn't bother him in the least.