WE have a cat, 3yrs old, since it was a kitten and a dog that is 6 yrs old---shihTszu. THe Cat terr

Member Posts: 2
We have a cat, 3yrs old, since it was a kitten and a dog that is 6 yrs old---shihTszu. The Cat terrorizes the dog. My girlfriend has had teh kitty since a kitten. The two animals have now been together for 1 year, with the Cat's aggressive intensiving. I am positive that there is some playful intent on the cats behave, but she swats at the dog alot..We are very concerned that the cat will get the dog in the eye (protruding eyes). The odd hting is that we the cat is not aggressive, the dog and cat will ly on the bed together, 8 inches apart..all is good. We need help or what to do? The poor dog is scared to walk down the hall way.

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    It is perfectly OK to discipline the cat by putting her in a room for a "time out" for a few minutes when she continually "terrorizes" the dog. Yelling or spraying the cat with water isn't a good idea because the dog won't know that you mean the cat and not the dog. The dog will think you are yelling at him. A cat's natural behavior is to lie in wait until something...a person, a dog or another cat passes by and then it will pounce. My cats do that all the time. Have you considered another cat for your cat to play with? Maybe she would leave the dog alone then. Or, play with the cat so she won't have to rely so much on the dog for playing.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    In addition to Izzie's suggestions, please make sure you keep the cat's claws trimmed and consider capping them with a product like "soft paws" to protect the dog's eyes. They are little plastic caps that you stick on like fake nails for humans but they cover the tips of the claws and will prevent her from taking an eye out. You can buy them and do it yourself or else have the vet or a groomer do it. I also agree that spraying water to deter bad behavior is difficult with a dog around. My dog is always very sure that I am punishing him when I spray the cats. The cats don't know where it came from and it's a great deterrent. But my dog knows exactly where it came from and he usually heads for his bed in shame so then I have to give cookies to compensate.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    Oscar J. plays rough with our dogs too, but fortunately, everyone enjoys it and all is well. Definitely keep the kitty's nails trimmed as this will minimize any injuries to the dog. I agree that it's hard to discipline the cat when the dog's present. Sometimes when Oscar starts trying to claw furniture and I break out the squirt gun, the dogs head for the hills even if they're not doing anything even remotely near Oscar.