Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Why is my cat peeing all over the house,he has 2 kitty litter boxes?

Dexter is about10 months old & he has always done great going to his litter box since he first came home.About the last 2 months he is peeing everywhere,my couch,chairs,kitchen table,carpet... I mean everywhere!I got him another litter box he now has 2 kitty litter boxes in the house(& yes he uses them too)we keep them clean at all times he goes we clean.I love him but I can't have my house smelling like pee. What do I do??

Best Answers

• Cristina HenryCristina Henry AshburnMember Posts: 482
    Accepted Answer
    Sounds like he is spraying... marking his territory. The sooner you have him neutered, the more successful you will be in getting him to stop spraying.
  • SHARON CHANGSHARON CHANG Member Posts: 1
    Accepted Answer
    First, is your kitty neutered? If not, he could be spraying, which is different from simple peeing. Male cats tend to "mark" their territory by leaving a small amt. of concentrated urine which has a potent smell. I have a neutered male who still occasionally marks if he's feeling threatened, such as when another cat comes on our porch. He's now on meds to calm him and these are helping alot. But I wouldn't recommend it without talking to your vet. Second, it's possible that Dexter has a urinary tract infection and is trying to find a comfortable spot to relieve himself. It could also be because of crystals in his urine. I don't mean to scare you by throwing alot of possibilities out there, but if your kitty has always been good and just recently started behaving differently, there's sure to be some reason for it. Have you changed his environment lately? Cats dislike change. New litter? If in doubt, speak to your vet.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Just to add to the last reply. If Dexter is peeing up against vertical surfaces (walls etc) that is the spraying/territorial marking. If he's not neutered yet that will fix this. If he's peeing on flat surfaces (the carpet etc) that could be because of the urinary tract infection. Take him to a vet to check if he has an infection and also if he has crystals in his urine. If he does the vet can give you antibiotics and special food (if he has crystals). Whatever it is you should also get a cleaner designed to completely remove the urine smell. If Dexter can't smell anything he won't be encouraged to pee again just because of the smell. Natures Miracle is a good cleaner to get rid or urine smells.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with the other posters. If he's not neutered, he needs to be. If he is neutered, have him check for a UTI. Also, has anything in his world changed? Another cat or dog? Have you moved the litter boxes? Oscar will sometimes "express his frustration" by leaving me presents. Definitely invest in some Nature's Miracle or Out! to get those smells up. If an animal "smells himself" they will go there again.