My cat keeps hissing and attacking my boyfriend. What do I do?

He is 8 months old, and we are taking him to the vet and getting him neutered next week, and i know it should have been sooner, but we didn't have the money. I am hoping that once Iroquois is neutered, this problem will go away. He lives in my boyfriends apartment and we do everything to try and keep him happy. this problem started about a week ago, and i really need help on what i should do!

Best Answers

• Amy GeduldigAmy Geduldig QueensMember Posts: 26
    Accepted Answer
    It's possible that Iroquois is just a little restless. Since he's only 8 months old, he has A LOT of energy and if he's not playing enough, he's taking it out on your boyfriend. I'd recommend getting a cat dancer (da bird, cat wand) anything that your boyfriend can use to help the cat play, but keep a safe distance (to avoid getting scratched,etc.) After awhile (they say about 2 weeks is a good amount of time) Iroquois will start to associate your boyfriend with playtime, instead of frustration.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Have a serious chat with your boyfriend and make sure that he has not done anything (even inadvertently) that scared Iroquois. Any time there is a complete change in a cat's behavior, something has gone on. If, previously, Iroquois and your bf got along, then a little research needs to be done to find out what went on. My cats actually were somewhat afraid of my DH because he is a big man and can sometimes be rather loud and "gruff". When I explained to him that the cats didn't understand that he was "just kidding", he changed his behavior and now I think my Delilah likes him better than me! Having Iroquios neutered will help calm him down, but if something is going on in your bf's apartment that's giving Iroquois pause for concern, then that also needs to change. It might even be something you'd never think of but that's what is weirding Iroquois out.