How can I get my cat to accept a new cat in the house?

Jamie WJamie W Member Posts: 1
I have a female calico cat, two and a half years old, and recently adopted a female russian blue mix (fixed, about two years old) from my brother in law when it didn't work out with him. However, my cat, Caramel, just refuses to accept this new cat, Bluebell. It's only been a month, but when we don't have them separated, Caramel absolutely tortures and terrorizes Bluebell, while Bluebell just seems to take it. She'll swipe back every once in a while, but not enough to do damage, and she certainly never initiates it. I've left it alone for the last month, but today, there's a long (shallow) scratch along Bluebell's nose, and so I'm becoming more concerned that Caramel's aggression may be escalating. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    You could try using Feliway or Rescue Remedy which will help make them both less stressed and Caramel less aggressive. Also do what you can to reduce the chance of confrontations - multiple litter boxes, separate areas where they are fed etc. You're probably doing this already but make sure you give Caramel lots of extra affection as she's probably really jealous of Bluebell. If all this doesn't work you can talk to your vet as there are anti-anxiety meds for cats which will reduce stress and agression. They are like kitty versions of prozac or valium and could be used for a short time or even long term if necessary.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    You will need to establish yourself as the Alpha (Leader) in your home. By "leaving it alone", you've signaled your approval of the way both cats are acting. I'm not suggesting that you intervene in a catfight, but it's OK to discipline Caramel when you notice she's spoiling for a fight. (Ears back, low growling, eyes bulging, fur ruffled, etc.). Mama Kitty will interfere when things get a little too heated between her kittens and that's what you need to do. Supervision and interference are keys to a peaceable kingdom (or "Queendom"). You can also buy toys to play with the girls that will encourage cooperation. Izzie and Lily LOVE a plain old big cardboard box. Both cats will need LOTS of affection from you. Giving one more attention that the other will also signal that you approve of Caramel's aggression or Bluebell's passiveness. And, as the other poster said, separate food dishes and litterboxes are a MUST. Good luck!