Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Why does my sweet Jaz try to bite me sometimes?

Jazmyn is about 9 or 10 months old, we adopted her from the SPCA about 2 weeks ago. She is a very sweet kitty, she lays with us and loves to be petted a lot....but occasionally she will suddenly try to bite me while I'm petting her, usually if I move towards her chest or belly...and not playful biting, a couple times she really got me hard! I'm just wondering why??

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    It's common for cats to hate having their bellies touched as its a natural urge to protect themselves. Just avoid stroking or tickling her belly and you should be OK. Once she has been with you longer and trusts you more she may let you touch her belly but she may never like it. I've got 3 cats that love having their bellies tickles and rubbed but the others hate it and will bite. If she nips while you are petting her back etc she may just get overstimulated after a while which is pretty common. You can give her a toy mouse to bite (instead of your hand) and just stop petting her for a couple of minutes til she's calmed down. Watch to see how she acts before she play bites (wild eyes, swishy tail etc) so you can recognised before she bites and stop petting her while she calms down.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks for adopting from a shelter! Since you don't know Jaz's history, it's possible that she may have been outside where she had to protect herself. Predators typically go for the throat or belly and cats instinctlvely will protect that area more than any others. Lily loves to have her belly rubbed but only when she feels like it. Izzie will almost immediately bite and scratch, but not with much convinction since he knows he doesn't need to protect himself aainst me. Almost all cats will scratch with their back legs and nip if they are flipped on their backs. If Jaz is truly "hand-shy", always do as Petra advises and play with her with a toy and not your hand.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    Cats definitely have a "belly" thing. When Oscar first came home, he hated having anyone touch his belly but now he stretches out when I come into the room asking for a rub. Give her some time to feel comfortable with you.