My cat has developed this awful habit of jumping all over the kitchen counters and stove. Not only i

Member Posts: 1
it's dangerous!! I tried putting her in her cage or in the bathroom right when I catch her and spraying the kitchen with citrus but nothing is working. She knows she's not supposed to be up there because when she hears me coming she jumps off quickly and runs to hide. What to do????

Best Answers

• Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I've heard the using tin foil or bubble wrap will discourage a cat from jumping on the counters. Also, make sure that your counters are always free of food like leftovers and such. This is a natural behavior for cats and it's very difficult to discourage them.
  •  Member Posts: 111
    Accepted Answer
    I have been trying to teach my cat, Belle, not to jump on the counters since the day we brought her home (about 6 months ago), but haven't had a whole lot of luck. We've tried using spray bottles and spraying her when we catch her up there, we've also tried putting tin foil, newspapers, and sticky fly paper on the tables...but nothing has worked so far! the best thing that has worked so far is lightly swatting her with a newspaper when we catch her. it's very difficult because she loves to perch on the counters. we have found that it helps if you just clear the table and counters right after we've eaten a meal, so that she's not tempted to get up there and eat the food. and wipe the crumbs off the tables too - b/c she will lick those. so i would suggest all of those things to you, and hopefully they will work better for you than they worked for us!