Eye infection

My cat Newman has an Eye infection a friend of mine who has a cat told me to wait a day and then see if it gets better I did so and it appears to be getting better the swelling around the eye has stopped and completely disappeared, as far as I have noticed he is no longer rubbing it, but I am still wondering should I take him into the vet just to make sure it's ok or am I just an over worried Mom?

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Since it seems to be getting better you're probably OK just keeping an eye on it. If you're worried call the vet on Monday morning to describe what's happened and get their advice,
  • j dj d Member Posts: 10
    Accepted Answer
    Are you sure it's an infection? If it's only been one day it's possible he just got something stuck in there that irritated the eye. Try gently wiping the eye with a tissue soaked in warm water. If he doesn't have any symptoms after a couple hours it was probably just irritated, not infected. But, as always, if in doubt, call your vet and ask.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    I myself (the human behind my cats) get eye infections occasionally, and they usually resolve themselves naturally. Having said that, seeing a kitty with pus coming out of its eye is not pleasant, and there is, as another poster said, always the chance of some kind of abrasion. In either case, antibiotics clear up the situation very quickly. Also, eye infections can be caused by several common upper respiratory infections, which, if left untreated, can result in deformation of the eye or blindness. I'd advise you to be a hypochondriac cat caretaker and get Newman checked out at the vet's, just to be sure.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    Accepted Answer
    Mom has worked in emergency medicine for the last 10 years and in veterinary medicine for the last 16...eye problems should be considered an emergency...ALWAYS. You should NEVER wait out an eye problem. Since you don't know what is causing the eye issue it could get worse very quickly and in fact some eye problems can cause blindness rapidly. The sooner an eye is taken care of the less likely that permanent damage may occur. You should take your cat in and have it looked at to be sure there is nothing more serious going on.