is there any known cartilage diseases of the flame point siamese?

I work for a veterinary hospital and a client called me and said she was interested in a flame point kitten. This kitten has floppy ears. The breeder tried to tell her that was because the mother didnt lick the ears..(many kittens are raised from a day old and there ears are fine with out a human licking them) Has anyone had this problem in any of there litters. Is it deadly and or does it affect the rest of the cartilage in the body.

Best Answer

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Well, I don't know how old this kitten is, so it's hard to say. As you must know very well, kittens are born with their eyes and ears shut, and eventually the eyes open and the ears become erect. If this is a month-old kitten without erect ears, the only sensible advice is to search out a different kitten. And what's this about "Many kittens are raised from a day old and there ears are fine with out a human licking them"? I've just raised my first litter of Maine Coons, and I can assure you that I, the Human, did NOT lick their ears. There are good, responsible, knowledgeable breeders out there, believe me. It does not sound like your client has met up with one yet, however. Tell her to be a bit more patient and search out a better breeder. No one should settle for a second-rate kitten or a second-rate breeder. Your friend will be her cat's caretaker for many years, and ideally, she should have a relationship with the breeder that lasts the cat's lifetime.