I have a older cat that has been sneezing and now seem to have lost her balance

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    She could have an upper respiratory infection and if that caused an ear infection, that could throw off her balance. You really should see the vet because it may be as simple as some antibiotics to get kitty feeling better. And if it is more serious than that, then you really need a vet to help her out.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with Allie. Sounds like your baby's got a stuffy head and probably an infection. A trip to vet should get things cleared up quickly.
  • Myndi DavisMyndi Davis LehiMember Posts: 215
    Accepted Answer
    She may have cryptococcus. It is a type of bacteria that causes sneezing and nasal discharge similar to an upper respiratory infection. Unlike an upper respiratory infection, after a period of time the nose starts to widen, then the bacteria can then spread to the brain and cause neurological symptoms. My mom's cat had this (even though he was an indoor only cat). At first, all the vets she saw said it was an upper respiratory infection and they gave her antibiotics, but it never went away. Then he started to loose his balance, and a vet recognized these symptoms. Cryptococcus is very unusual for our area, so none of the other vets thought about it. But he ended up being positive- so I would talk to your vet about it and make sure they consider this possibility because it can be extremely serious. Good Luck!