my kitten kind of not eat cat food she likes people food better what could i do to make it stop

i have a kitten that likes cat food but she does not eat any cat food but when i`m eating sometimes she does not let me eat it like i`m eating meat,bread,ham,cheese,soup,and even pudding i don`t give her my baby sister does and i cant stop her i need her to eat cat food i always spray her but she still does it again please what could i do

Best Answers

• Cecilia CretaroloCecilia Cretarolo PortlandMember Posts: 267
    Accepted Answer
    You could try feeding her raw. There are lots of great online groups and websites that can give you a better idea of how to do it long term. Check if she'll even go for it by giving her a small piece of raw chicken the next time you're cooking. And you need to tell your younger sister that kitties can't eat people food because it can make them very sick and can even kill them. That may sound mean but it's true when it comes to several foods such as chocolate and anything containing garlic and onions. If that doesn't work, you need to talk to your parents about punishing your sister with a timeout whenever she gives the cat people food.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    I am having a similar problem with my youngest Blaze. And none of the others ever did this to me. She loses her mind when she smells food and I have to pluck her head out of my plate so many times that I can't even enjoy my food. I can spray her with the water bottle until she is soaked and she still keeps trying. The only solution that I have found is to stop eating anyplace other than the dining room or kitchen table. No lunch in front of the tv. No snacks on the coffee table where she can reach until after she breaks this bad habit. Remind her where her food is whenever she starts bugging you for food so she knows that she has her own. And never give her any of yours because then she won't know when it's ok to beg and when it isn't. I am hoping that mine will outgrow it so my life can get back to normal.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Unfortunately, we have trained our kitties that people food is better than what they have in their bowl. My late Ernie was also like this. At one point before he was killed, he ate half of my grilled steak! When we had company I had to put him in another room. Spraying her doesn't seem fair. I hate to sound like a smarty-pants, but it sounds like Baby Sis is the one who should be sprayed. Since your kitty can't fix herself a sandwich, soup or pudding, you'll absolutely HAVE to stop feeding her your's. It's not "cute" when they eat people food and it's also not healthy for them. Are your parents present? Ask them to intervene with Baby Sis. If they do, tell them that mealtimes will be more peaceful for everyone.
  • Zinnia HannaZinnia Hanna Member Posts: 26
    Accepted Answer
    i think spraying her is mean ! i would let her eat your food but if you can't maybe you can feed her raw food it is better for them then cat food
  • Emily BottenhornEmily Bottenhorn Candler/AshevilleMember Posts: 42
    Accepted Answer
    The same thing happened to me. All you have to do is tell the cat no very firmly and take them to their food dish. Eventually they will get the message. It's okay to give them regular food once in a while, but NOT everyday. If you don't give her food, then tell your baby sister not to give the kitty her food. If she is old enough to understand, tell her that it will make the kitty sick. If she cares she will stop. But make sure you don't give him food, kids want to do what adults do. Hope this helps!