I have a male cat who is about a year old. He has done wonderfully about using the litter box, until

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    If you get him fixed he should do fine with the litter box again. If you call around teh ASPCA and other local cat rescues you should be able to find a low cost spay/neuter clinic that can neuter him for you. Its quick and simple and after the testosterone has gone from his system (will take 1-2 months) he'll be less likely to roam and spray.
  • Sandra PerrySandra Perry MemphisMember Posts: 1,425
    Accepted Answer
    Definitely have him neutered. Spraying is a sign of sexual maturity.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, I agree with the other posters - have him neutered ASAP if he isn't already. Male cats do not go in and out of heat like females. Like the males of most species they are always ready to mate.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with everyone else. The longer you wait to neuter your cat, the more chance there is that he will become a sprayer. Spraying really has nothing to do with urination and/or being good about using the box. It's a territorial thing with males. They're saying "This is MY space. Keep out!!" If money is tight for you, most cities now have low cost spay/neuter clinics. You can contact just about any vet or shelter/rescue in your area and they will be able to tell you where those clinics are located. I had Izzie neutered at one for $40.00.