I just adopted two male (N) cats from my local shelter that were together, now home they are fightin

I just adopted two male (Neutered) cats from my local shelter. Punkin is a DSH age 3 1/2, Whitey is a DMH age 8. They were surrendered two months ago from a man who passed away, and lived together in an apartment with this man prior to their surrendering. They were reported to have got along just fine. They were kept in the same cage at the shelter, and got along just fine as well. Now I have them home, and they are attacking and fighting with each other regularly. I want to keep them both for I love them dearly just after three days of owning them. What can I do? Thank you for any suggestions for I DON'T want to bring either of them back, and I am afraid someone will get hurt.

Best Answers

• Maggie BradshawMaggie Bradshaw Member Posts: 506
    Accepted Answer
    Cat playing playing can looks a lot like cats fighting. are you sure they are fighting? Play can look really rough, especially with male cats. As long as no one is bleeding, crying out, loosing large tufts of hair they ok. even when my two cats play ince in a while theres a swipe to the nose or something that leaves a scratch, but they're just playing roughly. If this isn't the case and they are full out cat fighting (usually they make horrible banshee sounds form hades when they do this) you might want to try separting them for bit. they might be trying to reestablish a hierarchry in there new siuation. It's so great you got these two boys from a shelter togeather, and i'm glad you want to keep them. sometimes after being in cages so long they have alot of excitement and engergy to work out. Maybe even getting them seperate toys to play with and burn off energy might help and take thier attention off eachother.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Philbert's answer sounds good to me. You say you've just had them for three days??? They're probably just stressed out by so many relocations--their original home, the shelter, now your home. Separating them for a while might be a good idea. I would assume that they will eventually get back to their original close relationship. My late, great, brother and sister duo--who were together from the time they were in the womb together until she predeceased him--were so close that they, almost literally, were never more than a yard apart from each other. Of course, they slept next to each other (and with me, as well). Yet occasionally she would wake up and bop his head, he'd look confused, and then they would start a mutual grooming ritual. Give your cats time. And join Catster--it's free, fun, and all we want to do is talk about cats. Can't get any better than that, right? We're crossing our paws here in hope that your boys settle down and get friendly with each other again.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Philly and Spike are right. Cat playing can look like cat fighting. If it's really upsetting you, you can try separating them for a while. Put one in a room with a litter box, food/water and a few toys. Maybe if he misses his brother, they'll start to play nice. And, cats can become very stressed out by being moved around. Shelters aren't fun places to be for cats, especially kitties who have known what it's like to live in a home with an owner who loved and took care of them. Be patient. Try playing with them with feather teaser poles and laser lights. If you tire them out, maybe they'll be too tired to fight. Good luck and let us know how it's going.