Cat gone crazy?

Member Posts: 1
I have two indoor cats, both altered and separated by six months. The boy cat push through a window screen and got out last night. It wasn't for long and I only noticed when I heard him howling to get back in. The girl cat was on the inside of the house and was batting at him, keeping him from getting back inside. Well I moved her and he got back in but she has been treating him like a "stranger" ever since. They usually get along perfectly but now she follow, growls and hisses at him. He is just trying to do his thing but they have gotten into some loud scuffles. She also growls and hisses at us when we try to interfere with her "work", What's happening?

Best Answers

• Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    To her, he is a stranger. He is a cat that got in from the outside and he smells different than the family member that she knows on the inside. Try rubbing his fur all over with a dry towel or blanket that smells familiar and see if it helps. (one that she likes to sleep on if possible) They act the same way if one goes to the vet and comes home smelling different. With time she should get over it.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I agree (as usual) with Allie, but I was also wondering if maybe there is another cat outside? Maybe your girl cat knows this other cat is outside and is taking it out on the boy cat (and you). If the towel rubbing doesn't work, you can also try a dryer sheet on both of them which smells a little stronger.