My 6 yr old feral female bengal has suddenly lost the fur underneath her neck. Is this normal?

My husband noticed our show cat Bengal licking her neck area. She has no medical problems that we are aware of and is house kept and fixed. She has fine peach fuzz hair left underneath her chin. She is a chocolate color and has very full hair otherwise except on her face below her ears which is normal . We have had her since she was 3 months old. Reassure me, please!

Best Answers

• Karina GressKarina Gress Member Posts: 402
    Accepted Answer
    Unexplained hair loss is not a good thing. Does her skin look irritated too? Could be allergies, or skin parasites. Have you changed food? Plastic bowls can also cause allergies and hair loss, especially to the chin/mouth area. Any other changes around the house may be making her react. Spring is here, and fleas can hitch a ride on you and come inside. I think a vet call or visit is the practical thing to do.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    Excessive grooming to the point of hair loss can also be signs of stress. Research your recent home life--when you began to notice this hair loss and think about if anything has changed such as adding another pet, a job loss or change that's caused YOU stress, workers in the home, a death or a four or two foot family member, things like that. Excessive rubbing on furniture can also cause hair-loss in the neck area. She may be exhibiting seasonal allergies. A call to your vet is about the only way to determine what is going on with her. When you go, be prepared to give your vet a complete history of her diet, behavior and anything unusual in your home life recently. Take along pen and paper and write down your questions and answers to review later when you get home. She'll be fine once she's diagnosed and treated. Don't worry mom!