My 10 mo. old male cat has started peeing in the house! He has never done this before, until the new

My 10 mo. old is very upset about the new male kitty, but hes upset at ME. It has been a month now they have gotten used to each other, they sleep together and play together, even eat together. My older cat just wont come near me. And he randomly pees on the floor when I am watching him. I have gotten a second litter box and put it in the bathroom away from the other box, hoping he would stop using the floor. He will pee on the carpet RIGHT in front of me, i pick him up to take him to the litter box and he continues to urinate. I feel so bad locking him in the bathroom with the litter box. He knows what he is doing is wrong because after he does it, HE RUNS!!!! Im going crazy :( Could he be sick?

Best Answers

• Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    Accepted Answer
    Since he's friendly with the new kitten its unlikely to be purely behavioural and he could be sick. Urinary tract infections (UTI) cause cats to pee outside the box as its painful and they just have to pee suddenly. Cats can also get cryttals in their urine if it is too acid/alkali and minerals that normally stay dissolved form crystals. This is more serious in male cats as they can get blocked and is also uncomfortable and can cause them to pee outside their litter box. He may also be avoiding you because he knows you are angry when he pees. Take him to a vet for a check up and they'll test his blood/urine to see if he's got either of these issues. If they have he'll need antibiotics (UTI) or meds/special food (crystals) and he should be fine.
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    I agree with everything Sassy said about possible medical issues that could be causing it. The way he is peeing does not sound like marking, but if he is not neutered, then now would be a good time to discuss that with your vet as well. Bringing another male into the house might cause him to feel the need to mark even if he likes the kitten.