Just adopted spayed cat and she does her business in the tub...

Ok, I just adopted a 3 year old spayed female cat from the SPCA, she was found as a stray. I did have her litter box in the downstairs bath which I showed her, but in the middle of the night she did her business in the upstairs bath tub. So I moved the box into my bedroom, which is right beside the upstairs bathroom. She went again in the tub after I cleaned it and showed her where her box is. Is it possible that she's just stressed and adjusting...I'm scared that she won't learn to use the litter box and I'll have to take her back to the SPCA. It did have a lid on it, but I have taken that off thinking that might help. Please help!

Best Answers

•  Member Posts: 10
    Accepted Answer
    Has she been declawed at all? Sometimes the litter hurts cats who are declawed. If that is the case, you can try another litter (I've hear that Yesterday's News is soft). I actually keep my cat's litter box in my spare tub because it makes clean up easier, but this sounds like your main tub. Maybe you can put it in there tonight and if she does her business in it, then move it back into the bedroom, so she has her scent in it. My other suggestion is to call the SPCA to see how she was with using the box there, and if they have any solutions. My SPCA suggested that if a cat was doing number 2 outside the box to scoop it and put it near their food. They hate their output near their input/food, so it usually stops that issue; although, yours hasn't hit the mark yet... I am sure that others on here will have other ideas also. Good luck! You have a kind heart to have adopted her. Keep trying!
  • Sandy NenningerSandy Nenninger PlainvilleMember Posts: 1,975
    Accepted Answer
    It is possible that she has developed a Urinary Tract Infection or urinary crystals. Inappropriate elimination is often a sign of illness. Tubs and sinks are a good way to let you know something is wrong and a visit to the vet would help to determine if she is sick. Or else maybe the SPCA could tell you what brand of litter they were using. Maybe she was used to a certain type or texture. Mine are not big fans of change in the litterboxes. I tried a box with some Feline Pine in it and I watched Allie refuse to step on those unfamiliar pellets. She tried one paw in there a couple of times with a confused look on her face, tossed me a dirty look and then went in the box with the regular litter in it even though it was not clean and fresh. That litter sat there for 3 days and nobody touched it but preferred to overuse the other boxes instead.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    Accepted Answer
    I think the key to your concerns may be patience. I know that it's gross to have to clean your kitty's waste out of the bathtub. I found recently that Lily had also been peeing in my upstairs tub (she was abused by a former owner). I filled it with hot water and bleach, let it soak and then scoured it. Then I shut the bathroom door. You can also try a large plastic container (I believe they're called "underbed storage containers") for her. Use a good amount of litter in it and put it next to the tub. The majority of cats prefer to "go" in litter rather than a tub. . Unless you know the complete life history of your new baby, it's difficult to tell what baggage she brings with her. I spoke with a lady once when I was doing animal rescue work who encouraged all 9 of her cats to use the bathtub as a litterbox. Be patient, loving a diligent. Don't yell at her for using the tub, just grit your teeth and scour it if she does it again. And, put her back in the box.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    Accepted Answer
    Close the door to the tub. Like Izzie said, you never know, maybe she was allowed by a previous owner to do her business there, and so now she is confused. If she still insists on going outside the box, take her to a vet and have her checked out. I'm sure the SPCA would not have adopted her out if she wasn't litter trained, so you're either looking at confusion from her POV, or an illness.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    Accepted Answer
    Some cats prefer to have one toilet for wee-wee, and one for doo-doo. If you only have one litter box, try buying another one. As for one cat doing its duty in the bathtub--I've had this problem--picking up the Tootsie-Roll with toilet paper and flushing it down the toilet is sometimes easier than gathering cat feces from a toilet in another room and disposing of them in the garbage. None of my cats are using the bathtub now, but I did find it oddly convenient when they did. Just make sure (obviously) that after they have done their thing, you disinfect the area with bleach and hot water.